Keyless Entry Kit for 1990 Legacy - How to DIY

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Brunt
First Gear

Keyless Entry Kit for 1990 Legacy - How to DIY

Post by Brunt »

EDIT: I installed the keyless entry kit and it works great! Check out detailed instruction a couple posts down

i've got a 1990 Legacy L Wagon, and the driver side door's lock cylinder recently broke. i know that the first gen Legacys have actuators on every lock except for the drivers door. i was hoping to add that missing actuator to the drivers door and connect it to a keyless entry system, which would then lock/unlock the rest of the doors in the car. i know i could just replace the lock cylinder, but i want the convenience of remote lock/unlock.

i found these kits on amazon and was hoping that somebody could confirm that this will work correctly and has everything i need? or recommend something else?

http://www.amazon.com/Crime-Stopper-CS- ... 679&sr=1-1
or
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Central ... 679&sr=1-3

i know they both come with extra actuators, but i figure it wouldn't hurt to have extras lying around, or i could sell them for cheap to anybody else here doing a similar project.

i did find this image in a similar thread, which was helpful...
(from http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... &view=next)
Last edited by Brunt on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990 Subaru Legacy L Wagon - first subaru
1992 Subaru Legacy LE Touring Wagon - daily driver
1994 Subaru Legacy LS Wagon - parts car
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Hey! That's my car! lol.

Both of those kits should work for what you want. It looks like they come with remotes and everything so you should be set.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Binford, I was just wondering . . . does the actuator prevent the door card from being installed?
'94 TW
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

93Leg-c wrote:Binford, I was just wondering . . . does the actuator prevent the door card from being installed?
It clears the door panel in the location in the picture. It is kind of difficult to figure out where it will clear, but right there it does!

The one pictured is a '93. I have also done a '90 in case anyone was wondering about pre vs post facelift differences. :wink:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Wow, that's cool!

Would you be able to do a write-up on it? I'd like to add that to my ss and TW and a DIY thread would really be great! Please? Pretty please?!?
'94 TW
Brunt
First Gear

How To Install A Keyless Entry System - First Gen Legacy

Post by Brunt »

I went with the Universal Central Door Lock and Unlock Conversion Kit. I found the actual website of the Amazon seller, Kapsco Moto, as well. It looks like they only sell motorcycle stuff, but they do have these kits under their alarm products, and for only for $27.99 + shipping from Canada. I was a little worried that it was going to be cheap quality, but the kit is solid, and really simple. It comes with 4 actuators, remote module, 2 key fobs, and all the wiring and mounting hardware. They give you a simple wiring diagram, but no other instructions for installing the hardware. The closest thing I've ever done to something like this was install a small powered sub under my driver's seat.

http://www.kapscomoto.com/Shop-By-Produ ... -p897.html

The install was pretty simple, I did it yesterday in about 3 or 4 hours. I should have taken pictures, but was in a rush to get it done.

Here are the detailed steps I took to install the keyless entry system.

1) Disconnect the battery

2) I disconnected the door wiring harnesses for the power locks and windows (located behind a plastic carpeted panel next to your left foot if you were sitting in the driver's seat).

3) Then I completely removed the door from the car in order to have enough room to do the wiring work (remove the 4 bolts at the door hinges, disconnect the rubber hose from the car body and pull out the wiring, also remove the door panel at this time).

4) I sacrificed an old wire hanger to aid in threading the wiring through the rubber hose between the car body and the door (is there a technical name for this?). One at a time, I taped about 6" of each wire to one end of the hanger, then threaded the open end of the hanger through the rubber tube. A little lubricant made for less work. The picture below is of the wire hanger + actuator wiring.

5) I didn't need to install the other 3 actuators since my Legacy already had them in the other doors. So to prevent clutter, I just cut off all the extra wiring from the kit's harness that would have been used for those other doors. I taped off the ends of each of these wires to make sure they wouldn't short out on anything else (I'm not sure if this was necessary, but I did it to be safe). This extra wiring came in handy for step 7.

6) Now I reinstalled the door and reconnected the power window and power lock wiring harnesses.

7) After that was done, I mounted the actuator just like in Binford's picture in my first post. It fits right behind the arm rest of the door panel. I put the door panel back on to ensure that it fit correctly with the actuator installed. Also, the wiring in the kit was a little short, so I used the extra wiring from step 5 to do some splicing and complete the connections. I waited to secure the actuator rod to the locking rod until the actuator was working via remote. The picture below was taken with my camera phone (before taping the wiring together and routing it alongside the other door wiring).

8) Then all I had to do was place the remote module under the dash, and run wires to the battery and ground (requires drilling a hole in your firewall if there isn't one there already). I reconnected the battery, then connected the keyless entry system's wiring harness to the remote module.

9) I tested to make sure the actuator was working properly with the remote. At this point I messed around with the location of the locking rod connection until it would lock and unlock all the other doors in the car at once (secure the set screws with loc-tite). Then I put the door panel back on and tested again to make sure that it was still working properly. Lucky for me, I got it setup correctly on my first try.

There you go, its a lot of words, but wasn't very difficult to install. Let me know if you've got any questions, or if any of my explanation was unclear.

Cheers!
Brunt
Last edited by Brunt on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Subaru Legacy L Wagon - first subaru
1992 Subaru Legacy LE Touring Wagon - daily driver
1994 Subaru Legacy LS Wagon - parts car
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

drywalll screws ftw lol
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

by the way you only need 1 ctuator and a entry kit.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
SakkeMO
In Neutral

Re: Keyless Entry Kit for 1990 Legacy - How to DIY

Post by SakkeMO »

Five years later, anyways...

I did this yesterday to my -92 legacy, works like a charm.

Though my keyless entry kit does come with blinking turning signal-lights when you lock/unlock the doors, what would be the easiest way to connect those?

I cannot think anything else than removing the dash panel and wire it behind "hazards" button. Any easier way?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) RED (+) LOW IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL

It's a red wire. You take the lower drivers side dash panel out. The parking light wire is in the 3 plug brick, which you will see when the panel is out. The plugs are Black, Blue, and White.

If you need info on any other wires associated with Keyless entry or alarms, you can get diagrams for most vehicles on www.bulldogsecurity.com
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Jeromy dayley
In Neutral

Re: actuator wiring

Post by Jeromy dayley »

Binford wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 am Hey! That's my car! lol.

Both of those kits should work for what you want. It looks like they come with remotes and everything so you should be set.
Hey saw this post and was doing the same thing and got the same actuator. Was wondering what color wires did you connect the the actuator wires to?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Out of curiosity, have you checked out the site linked above?

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/ve ... grams.aspx
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Jeromy dayley
In Neutral

Post by Jeromy dayley »

So I am still having trouble with the wiring of the actuator to my alarm system. Did you use any relays or hook the actuator and alarm wires to the central system? I have a 92 legacy sedan.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You will likely need a relay for the actuator. What is the actuator's amperage draw?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Jeromy dayley
In Neutral

Post by Jeromy dayley »

I think the draw is around 3amps. I was thinking I might need a relay, but was trying to find out if they did because I didn’t want to buy something I didn’t need.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If the amp draw is only 3 amps it would likely be fine without a relay, however it’s good practice to use a relay. I’d double check the amperage draw before you decide not to use a relay.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT