PIGGYBACK ratings???

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Boostedballs
First Gear

PIGGYBACK ratings???

Post by Boostedballs »

Drag racing season is here and I would like to get my car running right. I was opting for the Revtronix chip but that sank. Now I'm looking at the PP6 or AEM fuel/ignition or whatever will work.

Which is the easiest to get going and tune? $$$? Wiring is not a big issue since I used to wire helicopters for a living. The least amount of hacking, the better though.

This is my daily driver but I like to bash on it real hard and real often. I don't want to spend a bunch of cash because I have a real money pit in the garage. (LSR car)

I already have the AEM EGO wide-band gauge, I assume it will plug right into the AEM unit.

I would like to run 550cc injectors, Jecs MAF, VF39- I would be happy at 300HP

What are the Pacific Northwest guys running and who tunes them?
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Re: PIGGYBACK ratings???

Post by Boostedballs »

OK, I hear nothing but good things about the AEM unit. You can't add timing but Maybe if I screw with the crank triggers or something.

Does anyone have any maps to get me started? I can weld... :wink:
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
crashnburn
First Gear

Post by crashnburn »

i am also interested in the same thing. I currently have a revtronix stage 2 but was looking for upgrade to pp6 when I do my DOHC conversion.
91 Legacy SS 440s, vf39, FMIC, LSD, Revtronix Stage 2, MSD Coil
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I just baught the AEM F/IC. Looks like a pretty easy thing to tune (software-wise).

I'll update as I get it going on the current setup.

The stock 4EAT is quivering :?
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

F/IC rocks, plain and simple. It's been nearly a year since I installed mine and I still love it.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I'm building a patch cable for it now. I took part of an n/a wire harness so I need to add some pins to make it work...

Those pins are not easy to remove!
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

SLODRIVE wrote:F/IC rocks, plain and simple. It's been nearly a year since I installed mine and I still love it.

I'm glad the FIC is working well for you!

Care to share any snapshots of your fuel and timing maps? :D
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I'm not too sure that would be a good idea, what with you running a completely different setup than me (i.e. different displacement, heads, injectors, turbo, intercooler, etc.). ;-) If you can't get to a decent tuner, I suggest you wire in your wideband, do lots of logging, and DRIVE CAREFULLY!
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be trying to run your tune on my car; just wanted to see some comparisons. I have the AEM wideband and I am planning on tuning it myself, slowly and cautiosly.
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

im pretty interested in this also. whenever you get it all working the way you want and you have some spare time you should tell us what you think :)
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I have the FIC hooked up and here's a log of 2nd and 3rd gear WOT. There is a brief lean dip at the start of the gear change.
This is before tuning begins. I think the FIC is already clamping my MAF though. AFR's don't peg rich anymore. Runs pretty strong until that lean dip, then a hard shift follows, then hard acceleration again.

Any ideas on this dip? Could it be the TCU pulling fuel during the shift? I am using a TCU from a N/A model and it seems to shift quicker than the turbo TCU did.

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Where's the AFR and timing, also inlet air temp, knock, etc.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

AFR's were pretty stable at 13.5ish except for that second when the injector duty cycle went to 3%, the AFR jumped to 18ish.

As far as timing, I haven't messed with the timing map so everything should still be at zero change.

This FIC doesn't monitor intake temp but I think it's around 130F because I had the intercooler pump off and that's about what I got on previous experiments with the thermocouple hooked up. It gets much cooler with the water pumping but I don't want the tune to rely on it or the water injection.

have no knock monitoring either.
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Update,

It looks as though the n/a TCU is giving me higher shift points and the ECM is pulling injector duty cycle to 3% as a rev limiter. I think the ECM rev limiter is set to 6400 RPM because the duty cycle go down right after the highest RPM reading.

I would rather try to increase or eliminate the rev limiter so I can keep the high shift points and thrill that goes along with it. I wonder if I can change an IC in the ECM to that of the n/a unit. Any ideas?

Also, I got my 550cc injectors in and my fuel map is all over the place to make the car run right. I have fuel added to idle and even more added to 0 psi. then fuel is taken away for the higher RPMs and boost pressures. I guess it has something to do with the delay for the larger injectors to open and actually start to flow fuel as compared to the stock injectors probably opened with less delay. Either way, she runs like a beast at 13.4 afr up to 10 psi.

Time for more boost!
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

A few things that may help:

-ADD MORE FUEL!!! 13.5 a/f isn't even safe for a N/A car at WOT. 11.5-12.0 will be safe.

-Try adjusting your injector response time in the setup if you haven't already. Increase it by 10% and see what happens. Shouls be better.

-I know for a fact that my ECU ('92 SS 5MT) is cutting out at 6500 RPMs, and that's almost too much for the EJ20H heads. With EJ22T heads, I'm not sure why you would even want to see over 6000RPMs.
-And more!
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

My AEM wideband shows 2 full points richer than the a/f gauge on the software. I'm not sure which to believe.

I adjusted the response time from 486 to 600uS and that didn't seem to help. The engine won't even run with the table set to "change injector size" from 370 to 550. I actually have to ADD fuel at idle and even more at zero pressure.

I also have a pulsing at idle (760rpm or so) sometimes. It goes lean, like 18afr, then sometimes dies. Other times it runs smooth between 14.7 and 15afr. This was before the FIC. Maybe time to clean the IAC and/or test the BOV. The BOV dumps to atmosphere, maybe I should route it like stock.

I just need a codriver to watch the laptop while I watch the road. Any volunteers?
Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

Finally got the FIC tuned and running pretty well. 2 thumbs up for the AEM FIC!

I ran a 14.40 last night without the NOS, not too bad. (14psi) Just need some more fuel on the top end and adjust the H2O injection.
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Hmmm why didnt i ever catch this thread!

This AEM F/IC i never hurd of it.

How good is this system working for you?

Im not even joking here. You have the exact same base setup as me! AWIC,VF39,550cc. I just have been fearful of installing my injectors because of the crappy stock ecm....

If your pippyback is running good for you im very intrested in getting one of these F/IC for my car.
I have be looking for years for something to run my car, and this is looking more promising than the ecu chip deal.

Thanks

Tommio RS
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

you talking about this?

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-1910-Fuel- ... B000UWWXIK

will this give you better power than the 20g ecu?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

cj91legss wrote:you talking about this?

??
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

cj91legss wrote:
cj91legss wrote:you talking about this?

??
That's the piggyback I've been running for a while now. Your question is a little hard to answer though...it depends on what your engine setup is. The advantage of a piggyback over a factory ECU is that you can actually tune your vehicle for optimum power/relibility. In fact, I'd like a 20G ECU in addition to my F/IC. ;-)
-And more!
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Hmmm so SLODRIVE you have your leggy running with a 20G ECU and the AEM F/IC.

Very nice!
Did you run this AEM F/IC with the stock EJ22T ecu ever?

I would be very very interested to do the F/IC with the factory ecu. So then i can FINALLY run my god dam VF39 with 550cc's without a problem!!!
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Tommio RS wrote:Hmmm so SLODRIVE you have your leggy running with a 20G ECU and the AEM F/IC.

Very nice!

I would be very very interested to do the F/IC with the factory ecu. So then i can FINALLY run my god dam VF39 with 550cc's without a problem!!!
:lol: You must have mis-read me. I stated I'd like to have a 20G ECU, in fact it would probably work pretty well with my setup as is. I'm running an EJ22T ECU with the F/IC, and one of these days I'll get fuel rails to install the 550's in the garage.
-And more!
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

SLODRIVE wrote:
Tommio RS wrote:Hmmm so SLODRIVE you have your leggy running with a 20G ECU and the AEM F/IC.

Very nice!

:lol: You must have mis-read me. I stated I'd like to have a 20G ECU, in fact it would probably work pretty well with my setup as is. I'm running an EJ22T ECU with the F/IC, and one of these days I'll get fuel rails to install the 550's in the garage.
i have some sti fuel rails you could modify to fit the intake manifold for 40 shipped....
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

I all ready have a set of NA rails out of a 91 with in injectors siting in them. Waiting waiting.....

But thanks tho!

But now i know the piggy back works!! BOO ya!

Now i just need to know how much more power one can get with all this.