Different alternator for lights? (now with short story)

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

race_to_live
First Gear

Different alternator for lights? (now with short story)

Post by race_to_live »

Im in the process of building a light bar that I plan on putting 4 lights on. 2 of the lights are going to be a lower Watt and will usually be on when I drive at night. The other 2 lights will be a high Watt and I will use them only when I need to (more often than not). So my question is do I need to run a better alternator or something like that to help out with running all those lights?
Last edited by race_to_live on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Different alternator for lights?

Post by kimokalihi »

Well how much power are they using?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

It depends on what accessories you plan on using while operating the lights. Do you have an aftermarket sound system with an amplifier or two? Do you plan on using the rear defrost and/or AC while using the lights?

Upgrading the wiring from the alternator to the battery helps and so does adding a more significant ground or two.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think I would probably go with a beefier battery before upgrading the alternator. Go with an Optima Yellow top.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

i might run the defrost sometimes, but as for sound, i have the stock sound system. i dont really listen to sound other then the sound of my car, you know, so you can hear if a part falls off or somethin. and i really dont know how much power the lights will pull.
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, figure out how much power the lights will pull. Maybe this will help:

To figure out roughly the amount of current the lights will draw divide the sum of their wattage ratings (in watts) by 12 (because it's 12 volts). That will tell you how many amps they'll use. I'd include all the new lights and also the stock headlights in this calculation.

The stock alternator is rated to provide:
At least 33 amps at 1500 RPM
At least 66 amps at 3000 RPM
At least 80 amps at 6000 RPM

You'll want to have something like 10 amps to drive the ECU and ignition. And something like another 10 to drive the other lights on the car. Then a little more to charge the battery.

If you get a good battery like Josh suggests then you can get away with temporarily drawing too much power because the battery will make up the difference and then will charge up when you're not drawing so much.

So then look at what conditions you'll be driving under and make a judgement call.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

HOW IRONIC!. So... it is 2am, really tired, and breathing really hard. Not normal for a non party-ier. It all starts with me at my GF's house which is 30min from my house. I ended up falling asleep at her house and woke up at 1:30am. So I hop in my trusty steed and turn the key. WTF I could have swore the motor turned over slow, but I didn't want to start it up again because of how loud it is. So I proceed to drive away. 10 minutes later the lights on the radio would flash when I turn on the defrost...WTF. So after another 5 minutes of driving it hit me, that SOB alternator is going south, and its around 1:45am or so. SOB! So I truned off everything that uses power that I could. I didn't use the brakes much because the lights draw power.

Note: thanks vrg3 for this...
vrg3 wrote:You'll want to have something like 10 amps to drive the ECU and ignition. And something like another 10 to drive the other lights on the car. Then a little more to charge the battery.

I treated it as if I had to make it to the work area after completing a stage lol. Then with only 10 more minutes to go (I still have the driving lights on) the motor wants to die. So it was now time to drive with no lights. Now Im forced to take the back way home. Also, another fun fact, its really cloudy and the moon is nowhere to be found. I live in the county so it was as dark as dark gets. With only 1/4 mile to go (only thing that is on is the motor) the car dies. Yet again WTF. As the car slows down, I hop out and start pushing. I ran my ass off for the remaining 1/8 mile.

Tonight is afriday night, people out drinking and such so cops are everywhere but F it. I wanted to get home. I ran a total of 4 red lights, and 5 stop signs. I think the alternator on the car heard I wanted to get a better one, thus being a complete pain in the ass until I had to get a new one.

NOW the question(s)
What alternator to get?
And what year/models fit?

Last note: If anything in the little story sounds weird, I cant really organize my thoughts right now. Also, the legacy rolls very nice.
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Different alternator for lights? (now with short story)

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you wanting just a replacement alternator, or high output alternator?

I'd suggest checking these guys out
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/

They are where I got my HO alternator from. I am running a WRX style alternator. I switched plugs to the 2-wire plug vs. our 3-wire plug. Maniac does have a 3-wire plug HO alternator for our cars.

Here's their HO alternator selection
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hioual.html

and the normal ones
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/29allal133.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

So I ended up going with the hella 500's. Just 55W. 4 lights.
Ill post a pic of the light bar sometime here soon
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
SPUMONI_RT
First Gear

Post by SPUMONI_RT »

Legacy777 did your replacement HO alt bolt right up with no issues?
-Spumoni-
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I got a newer one with the 2-wires vs. our 3-wires. So I had to redo the plug. Other than that it was a direct bolt up. You can get the 3-wire plug alternaters from Maniac, so it should be a direct replacement.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT