Alternator issue

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bender-san
First Gear

Alternator issue

Post by Bender-san »

After a quick search, I did not find anything that pertains to the particular charging system issue I had, so I thought I'd post my results. I apologize if this has been previously discussed.

I recently had an issue occur with my '93 wagon that I had not witnessed in any of my prior automobiles. However, after discussing the problem with a friend/co-worker who used to be a Subaru Master Tech, I've since found out that this is not an uncommon occurence. My wife and I were on our way home after work one evening when I discovered all of the common symptoms of charging system failure (dim lights, radio kicking on and off, etc). The one thing that did NOT happen, however, was the typical Brake/Battery lights coming on in the instrument cluster. The issue DID turn out to be an alternator failure, but the lights never came on. I just wanted to make certain that my fellow 1st gen Legacy enthusiasts were made aware of this so nobody ended up stranded without power. The key item to watch is the gauge cluster backlights. Those started becomming noticeably dim sooner than anything else (I live in city, so in rural areas the headlight dimming might be more noticeable).
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: Alternator issue

Post by BSOD2600 »

A voltmeter can be very useful in troubleshooting this issue.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I have had 3 Legacy's and all of them did the same. That battery light is useless! What I did however find came on to warn me was my abs light, and of course as you mentioned dim lights.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Bender-san
First Gear

Post by Bender-san »

Ah, I have no ABS in my legacy, which would explain why I didn't get that light to come on. As for a volt-meter, I had one back at the shop in my tool box AND at home in my other tool box. However, I had no volt-meter in the car, so I had to wait for confirmation of my hypothesis.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

The light will come on if you lose the belt. This I know for fact.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

magicmike wrote:The light will come on if you lose the belt. This I know for fact.
I can confirm!
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.