Life expectancy of a 2001 Legacy alternator?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

speculaas
In Neutral

Life expectancy of a 2001 Legacy alternator?

Post by speculaas »

We are a two Subaru family and I happen to drive the 2001 Legacy which just turned over 156,000 miles today. One thing that crossed my mind was how a couple of my other cars ended up with failing alternators, and each of them left me stranded. My Legacy still has the original alternator and I'm wondering how long I leave it in? This car receives every bit of preventative maintenance I can give it, so do I replace it before it stops working? I do take some long drives and really don't want to get stranded.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Life expectancy of a 2001 Legacy alternator?

Post by evolutionmovement »

There's no way of knowing until it goes. My 1990's lasted just under 250k miles. Whatever the case, your old OEM one is a safer bet than changing it for an auto parts store rebuilt, but even carrying an extra battery is a better bet than those. You might want to have an alternator on hand if you're real concerned and if a new OEM one is too much money, pick up a used OEM one. Carry it and the tools you'd need to swap it in the trunk. Since it's such an easy job, you can just swap it out at the first sign of trouble. If you have a stick shift, you don't even have to worry if you end up running on battery power since you can push start it if necessary, but if it kills the battery by overcharging, you'll still be stuck unless you want to carry an extra one of those, carefully maintaining the charge, as well.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

My 01 alternator died at 154,000. Interestingly it died almost exactly 1 year after my ss alternator died. Both times were at the dealership when I was visiting with my friend that works there.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

greg donovan wrote:My 01 alternator died at 154,000. Interestingly it died almost exactly 1 year after my ss alternator died. Both times were at the dealership when I was visiting with my friend that works there.
Sabotage? Just kidding :lol:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

usually once about 170k you are pushing the limits...on a Soob alternator..
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

Binford wrote:
greg donovan wrote:My 01 alternator died at 154,000. Interestingly it died almost exactly 1 year after my ss alternator died. Both times were at the dealership when I was visiting with my friend that works there.
Sabotage? Just kidding :lol:
Let's just say I will not be driving there the second week of June next year.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
comets
First Gear

Post by comets »

Mine lasted 170K KM, since 1994