Kill Switch

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Kill Switch

Post by Mattheww044 »

I have been doing some research lately on how to do a kill switch for my car. Subaru thefts are rising in my area and I know that all it takes is a shaved key to open the doors/start these older cars.

What would be the best thing to "kill"? I was thinking fuel pump, starter, battery, or even ignition. Fuel pump seems to be the best option considering they would basically need a flatbed to move it if it won't get fuel. Has anyone done this that can give me a few tips, etc.?

I would just splice the power wire for the fuel pump and connect each "lead" to the switch, correct?
Thanks for any input
Matt
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Kill Switch

Post by SILINC3R »

power-switch-power-fuel pump.

yep, what you said will do it.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

For a basic kill switch I'd interrupt the power to the coil of the ignition relay (which is used to power the ECU) or the fuel pump relay. They're both mounted up under the left side of the dash. That way you'd only be dealing with a low-current circuit.

If I can offer another suggestion -- instead of using a regular old toggle switch, maybe you could use a reed switch like they use for home alarm systems. These are switches that are activate by being near a magnet as opposed to being flicked by hand.

Stick it with double-sided tape to the underside of the coin tray or something. Then, keep a little magnet on your keychain. To start the car you have to put the magnet in the coin tray.

The reed switch wouldn't look like a switch at all to the untrained eye.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

thats a good idea. or just buy an alarm. the viper one i have and all other viper 2way paging alarms come with a kill switch. if the car alarm goes off. the car wont start. and if some how they do start it, and dont push the secret button a set number of time with in 5 seconds it turns off. you can get the installed at bestbuy for 300 or 400. its worth it. i alson have a glass break sensor, tilt sensor, and proximity sensor. my cars not going anywhere. i also have 2 sirens inside my car under my dash and the normal one in the engine bay. when that thing goes off its loud. total money invested. $150. i work at best buy...lol
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

i have a fellow classmate that works at best buy as well and he said he would hook me up with an alarm and all that fancy jazz too, just need money haha. This is just a temporary "make it harder to steal" type thing
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

hook up a blue led falshing light and put it in ur car. like an alarm light. it will deter bad guys.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Alarms really are pretty easy to bypass if you know much about how car alarms are setup. Plus most of the time the installations are so-so. I found that out after about 7 years when I was messing around with the alarm, armed it and tried to start the car. To my surprise, it started with the alarm armed. The install guys installed things incorrectly.

The best deterrant is a blinking light, even if there is no alarm. Vikash's idea is a very good one. Another suggestion is an RFID type thing on your key chain that is wired up to the fuel pump or to the relays Vikash mentioned.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-I'd like to add a kill switch to my car, would you have a wire diagram for under the dash so I knew what wire to tap into? and which one would be the best, fuel pump, ignition etc.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Joe,

This is the best I have, but it should give you enough info for what you need to do.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... lectrical)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Thanks Josh I appreciate it and sorry for bumping an old thread.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome Joe.

No worries about bumping an old thread.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

91Beater
First Gear

Post by 91Beater »

You could also install a decoy switch that would ground out the fuel pump, which then blow the fuel pump fuse.

Stick in a new fuse and it will immediately blow until that decoy switch is turned off.
One switch is easily figured out. Several mazes of switches should thwart the average joe.
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Seems there's quite a few routes to go, so I just went with the fuel relay route. Maybe I'll add another later on.

-Joe