A/F meter hooked up wrong

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

hawaiianEJ22T
In Neutral

A/F meter hooked up wrong

Post by hawaiianEJ22T »

Ok i bought my legacy from this college kid that had intalled an autometer boost and air/fuel gauge and i believe the air/fuel gauge is not hooked up properly first of all it never gives a steady reading just jumps all over the lace even at idle and if my stereo is on, the meter kind of flickers to the beat..is it not grounded correctly or what..any ideas?
92 legacy AWD ej22t 5 speed, rebuilt internals, custom intake, custom 2.5in catback, running 11psi, sti shocks and struts..
S Webster
In Neutral

Re: A/F meter hooked up wrong

Post by S Webster »

First, is it a narrow band, (no digital read out) just a band of lites around the perimeter of the gauge? If so it's prob. working correctly, their basically a volt meter and the lite show is indicating the output of the O2 sensor. The wide bands are much the same, but with an actual AFR reading shown digitally in the ctr. of the gauge. Don't know if this helps or not. Luck, Steve.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can pretty much throw away that AFR gauge. It sounds like it's hooked up to the stock narrow band O2 sensor, which doesn't tell you anything. All that thing is doing is showing you pretty lights.

If you want an AFR gauge, get a wideband setup. Zeitronix has some good options that hook up to a gauge pod and can do multiple things like read boost and AFR.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
S Webster
In Neutral

Post by S Webster »

I'm runnin' an Inovativemotorsports wide band I've been really satisfied with, and rite at $200, I think it's one of the mos t affordable out there. Just sayin'. Steve.
hawaiianEJ22T
In Neutral

Post by hawaiianEJ22T »

Thanks guys, I'll prob just disconnect it for now until I get a wideband set up and a different meter, I'll switch to the wideband O2 sensor when I install my 3" wrx downpipe..
92 legacy AWD ej22t 5 speed, rebuilt internals, custom intake, custom 2.5in catback, running 11psi, sti shocks and struts..
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd recommend a WB that has a narrow band output so you can keep the stock ECU happy. Otherwise, you'll need a second bung on the DP for narrow band & wide band.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

hawaiianEJ22T
In Neutral

Post by hawaiianEJ22T »

Ok so if I get an AFR with the narrow band output i can use the sensor provided to replace the stock one right? or would I have to put the aftermarket sensor in somewhere else and leave the OEM one alone?
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Legacy777 wrote:I'd recommend a WB that has a narrow band output so you can keep the stock ECU happy. Otherwise, you'll need a second bung on the DP for narrow band & wide band.
Inovativemotorsports LC-1 can do this too, plus the simulated NB output curve is changeable via software.

I installed the LC-1 in the lower bung on the DP and left the stock NB in the upper bung. Some auto magazine tested a bunch of the widebands years ago (google it). They found the LC-1 was the most accurate, could detect when the WB had failed, and could recalibrate itself (once triggered) to compensate for sensor degradation.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

hawaiianEJ22T wrote:Ok so if I get an AFR with the narrow band output i can use the sensor provided to replace the stock one right? or would I have to put the aftermarket sensor in somewhere else and leave the OEM one alone?
If you get a WB with the narrow band output it will replace the stock O2 sensor. You'll just need to wire the output from the WB controller to the narrow band O2 input on the ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

BSOD2600 wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:I'd recommend a WB that has a narrow band output so you can keep the stock ECU happy. Otherwise, you'll need a second bung on the DP for narrow band & wide band.
Inovativemotorsports LC-1 can do this too, plus the simulated NB output curve is changeable via software.

I installed the LC-1 in the lower bung on the DP and left the stock NB in the upper bung. Some auto magazine tested a bunch of the widebands years ago (google it). They found the LC-1 was the most accurate, could detect when the WB had failed, and could recalibrate itself (once triggered) to compensate for sensor degradation.
Yeah I think I read that too. One comment I'll make is that technology is constantly updating, and some of the other brands have stepped up their game, but I haven't seen any recent tests.

Ironically, the WB in my car is failing, and the symptoms it exhibited was that it just went to full lean and stayed there. So it was pretty obvioius. I've got a new one coming and it should be here tomorrow.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

S Webster
In Neutral

Post by S Webster »

Mine is a Innovative M S MTX-L,it has two N B simulated analog outputs, one is 0v=7.35 AFR and 5v=22.39 AFR. The other is 1.1v=14 AFR and .1v=15 AFR. I'll have to say it really made a huge difference in my fuel system, maybe just a cleaner signal to the ECU, don't know but it's been one of the best investments in my old 88 GL T. Delivered to my door door rite at $200. Good chatter, thanks guys. Steve
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

One of those outputs is not a narrow band output, but rather a 0 to 5v linear output for engine management or gauge inputs.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT