knock sensor

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

muffin77
In Neutral

knock sensor

Post by muffin77 »

Today my car threw code 22... knock sensor.. went to see where it was and notice that my knock just doesnt plug it and it was like hard wired in(crimped together) and noticed that one side was super loose... so should i look at another car in a yard and find a whole new wiring from sensor to where ever it goes? or just get a new connector and recrimp it?
muffin77
In Neutral

Re: knock sensor

Post by muffin77 »

Well I'm going to go ahead and say new wire harness for the knock sensor... did the clear code thing and and blinked 22 so I'm guessing that means everything is good besides that
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Very common problem, which kills your performance and MPG. I'd just get several inches of one from an intact junkyard car and solder it in. Peel back the shielding as it cannot touch the inner wires. We're talking about the car's wiring harness side right?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
muffin77
In Neutral

Post by muffin77 »

say ya get a replacement knock sensor its got a connector that plugs into the harness.. both sides are missing so if i buy a replacement i cant just plug it in... so i was thinking about going to a yard and getting the whole harness from sensor to computer
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Junk yard knock sensor wire is going to be brittle. Just get microphone wire (outside is shielded, just like the KS wire) and use that from the sensor back to the ECU. Make sure to solder all connections.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
muffin77
In Neutral

Post by muffin77 »

so get a mic wire and solder the inner wires together then outter wires together?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No, the inside wire gets soldered to the connectors as usually. The outside shielded wire needs to be connected back to the shielding sensor ground at the ECU only. Do not connect it to chassis ground or any other place. There should be a wire at the ECU that the existing shielding ties into.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
muffin77
In Neutral

Post by muffin77 »

Sorry it has been a long time but I finally got everything fixed besides when I roll into the throttle and sometimes part throttle. I should have took pics but ill describe what I did to fix my shielded wire. I first got some ideas from people and what I ended up doing was taking the advice from my instructor who use to fix airplane wiring and id figured if its good enough for an airplane its good enough for a car. 1st I just went to autozone and bought 16 gauge wire. 1st I stripped the shielded wire back about an inch and just folded back then stripped the inner wire. I then stripped the 16 gauge completely to bare wire and connected the inner end together by twisting and folding the not over the wire. Heat shrink the two ends as you done want the center wire to touch the outer. After there is no more bare wire showing you can move on to the shielded wire. Get the 16 gauge wire and a good bit of it. I then laid both sides of the shielded then just wrapped tightly from one end to the other. after that I just did some more shrink wrap to complete the connection and hide from elements. I put on a new knock sensor and I the check engine light is gone.........I did it this way because that is roughly what they do for airplanes as if you solder something you have to have a special permit as from all the vibrations..... if you guys want I can add pics to understand better because I know I cant describe very well
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the follow up on what you did.

Yeah, any pictures you'd like to add would be helpful for others.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
silver03
First Gear

Post by silver03 »

I am throwing random code 22. Where exactly is the knock sensor? 94 leggy L. Thanks
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

looking at the engine, its to the right of the throttle body down on the block. the actual connector for it is white and right by the throttle body. the sensor itself looks like a black plastic donut with a bolt through the middle.
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »