EJ22T ECU Wiring Questions - Engine swap to bug

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

crbastow
In Neutral

EJ22T ECU Wiring Questions - Engine swap to bug

Post by crbastow »

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I am in need help of getting my EJ22T (from a 1992 legacy) that was swapped into my 73 Super Beetle to fire up. I have a number of questions regarding ECU wiring:

I understand that it is OBD I

Grounding:
There are a number of different ground wires coming from the ECU. There are black/red stripe, black/yellow stripe, black/white stripe and just black. The wiring diagram seems to indicate that these ground wireds junction all together. Is this correct? Can I have all of the ground wires come to a common ground point on the chassis?

Connector D - 26 pins

Pin D5 - Light Green Wire - Self shut-off control. It looks to me that this should have 12 volts applied to it. The wiring diagram show it goes to a diode which indicates current should flow into the light green wire. Please confirm or correct.

Pin D19 - Red/yellow stripe - Check engine light. I have wired this in to monitor the status of the ecu.

Connector C - 16 pins

Pin C12 - Red/black stripe wire - Read Memory - Should this wire be grounded of left free?

Pin C13 - Orange wire - Test Mode Connector - Should this wire be grounded or no?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EJ22T ECU Wiring Questions - Engine swap to bug

Post by Legacy777 »

Regarding the grounding,

Yes you can bring all these grounds to a common ground point. The stock setup brings them to a common ground point on the back of the intake manifold. I would suggest keeping this common ground point, or at the very least running a 12 or 10 gauge wire from that point on the intake manifold to whereever you bring those grounds from the ECU.

Yes, the self shut off control should have an ignition switched 12v going to it.

The read & test mode connectors should be hooked up to a switch and then the other end of the switch should be grounded. This will allow you put the ECU in those cooresponding diagnostic modes. Under normal operating conditions, they should not be hooked up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
crbastow
In Neutral

Post by crbastow »

Thank you for the input.

In my research I concluded that I should have 12 volts going to the light green wire and I glad to see the confirmation. I see how the diode prevents the backflow of current and this circuit keeps the car going in the even of failure from the battery or alternator.

I did conclude that I should run a ground cable from the common ground to the engine. I will use a black extension cord with all three conductors in use.

Information regarding test mode connectors is a great idea. I have switches on hand and certainly will wire them in. I expect I will be using the check engine a fair bit in the near future.

I will post when I get the car running. Thanks again.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

crbastow
In Neutral

Post by crbastow »

FYI - I got the ECU to boot, check engine light comes on and the fuel pump cycles.

My 6 year old placed something on the exposed timing belt which was sucked into the pulley and snapped the belt. I will replace the belt once it stops raining and hopefully start the car.

Thanks for the help.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, glad to hear the ECU is working, and too bad about the belt, but hopefully you can get it running soon.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

crbastow
In Neutral

Post by crbastow »

I now have the timing belt installed and it is correct but the car does not start. It was actually pretty easy to install the belt with the way the engine is exposed in the back of the car.

I have changed the spark plugs to NGK Iridiums, the existing ones turned out to be black and I dont know how old.

The ECU codes give me 22 (knock sensor) and 35 (canister purge).

I am unsure if I am getting spark or fuel, I will check that later after the battery has been charged. Is there anything else that needs to be grounded like the park or neutral switch in order to start? I would think that either of those circuits only inhibit the starter and not the rest of the system (injectors or spark). Any thoughts?
crbastow
In Neutral

Post by crbastow »

I am getting spark, the fuel pump runs as it should. I need to determine why the injectors will not fire.
crbastow
In Neutral

Post by crbastow »

The car now runs, it did not have power to the injectors power feed wire. Now that the engine runs I must chase a vacuum leak.
crbastow
In Neutral

Post by crbastow »

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad to hear you got it running Colin.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That looks and sounds so awesome!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.