HKS FCD.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Pythonmsh
First Gear

HKS FCD.

Post by Pythonmsh »

People say splice into the MAP sensor
Some say splice into the turbo pressure sensor
Some call it the pressure exchange solenoid.

Tried the map sensor, car just dies after being started.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/ecupins/

The white/yellow wires on the HKS FCD need to go to the

F47.20 Pressure exchange solenoid T

Yes?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: HKS FCD.

Post by cj91legss »

Interesting how this is an issue between you and another user in the last couple days.

No it does NOT go to the pressure exchange solenoid.

I'll try to spell it out.

Our ECUs are factory set for 8.7 psi boost. We want to up the boost because we have this AWESOME block that likes a beating.

We up the boost.

Well the ECU doesn't want us to boost past (i think) 12.7psi? (might be off a decimal or two on that one.) The MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor monitors how much vac/boost is in the intake manifold (in conjunction with the pressure exchange solenoid.) The map sensor signal is a 0-5v signal reported to the ecu. Once the MAP sensor sees 5v (12.7psi) for 3 seconds, the ECU enables fuel cut. What fuel cut defenders/defencers do is clamp that 5 volts to say... 4.9? (I think that's what vrg3's FCD does (Cheap Electronic FCD in the Turbo section) ((Been talked about ALOT)) Anyways since I'm rambling on about how stuff works and not answering your question, the FCD interrupts the MAP SENSOR SIGNAL WIRE. If you follow the instructions on the Chris P FCD the only thing you need to touch on the Pressure exchange Solenoid is the +12 V Yellow/red.

However you seem to be installing at the ECU so, If you have a diagram for your HKS FCD, You will want to interrupt the MAP signal wire (Input and out are VERY IMPORTANT in this part) B48.4 based off of Josh's website http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/ecupins/

I don't mean to question your ability or put you down at all. But if you followed the directions of your FCD and of the installation instructions of the FCD on this site, then it should work bud. If it doesn't work, do you know for sure you have a working FCD?

Double/Triple check each of your wires from the FCD to the Harness. Maybe you didn't get proper +12 or +5 v? I know it's a pain in the ass to wire something to the ecu harness because of the limited space.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:Interesting how this is an issue between you and another user in the last couple days.

No it does NOT go to the pressure exchange solenoid.

I'll try to spell it out.

Our ECUs are factory set for 8.7 psi boost. We want to up the boost because we have this AWESOME block that likes a beating.

We up the boost.

Well the ECU doesn't want us to boost past (i think) 12.7psi? (might be off a decimal or two on that one.) The MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor monitors how much vac/boost is in the intake manifold (in conjunction with the pressure exchange solenoid.) The map sensor signal is a 0-5v signal reported to the ecu. Once the MAP sensor sees 5v (12.7psi) for 3 seconds, the ECU enables fuel cut. What fuel cut defenders/defencers do is clamp that 5 volts to say... 4.9? (I think that's what vrg3's FCD does (Cheap Electronic FCD in the Turbo section) ((Been talked about ALOT)) Anyways since I'm rambling on about how stuff works and not answering your question, the FCD interrupts the MAP SENSOR SIGNAL WIRE. If you follow the instructions on the Chris P FCD the only thing you need to touch on the Pressure exchange Solenoid is the +12 V Yellow/red.

However you seem to be installing at the ECU so, If you have a diagram for your HKS FCD, You will want to interrupt the MAP signal wire (Input and out are VERY IMPORTANT in this part) B48.4 based off of Josh's website http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/ecupins/

I don't mean to question your ability or put you down at all. But if you followed the directions of your FCD and of the installation instructions of the FCD on this site, then it should work bud. If it doesn't work, do you know for sure you have a working FCD?

Double/Triple check each of your wires from the FCD to the Harness. Maybe you didn't get proper +12 or +5 v? I know it's a pain in the ass to wire something to the ecu harness because of the limited space.
I'm being told by 2 people who have installed them and have had them working that it's going to go to the pressure sensor, not the map sensor.
Last edited by Pythonmsh on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I wasn't trying to be a dick.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:I wasn't trying to be a dick.
Oh sorry, almost came off that way. It's just getting annoying how I keep getting a bunch of different things from people. I just wanted to verify and splice into the correct things at once. If it isn't the pressure sensor for sure and it's the map sensor then I need to get a refund on this HKS FCD.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

After reading over what I said, I can understand what you mean. The map sensor and pressure sensor is the same thing. The exchange solenoid is seperate. Check out the other fcd diagrams.

Maybe you do have a bad fcd?
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:After reading over what I said, I can understand what you mean. The map sensor and pressure sensor is the same thing. The exchange solenoid is seperate. Check out the other fcd diagrams.

Maybe you do have a bad fcd?
Gonna check in a bit to make sure it was done 100% correctly.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Did you buy it used?
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:Did you buy it used?
Yea
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

You can get a new hks fcd on ebay for 99, or a turbosmart for 152.99 if you think its damaged.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:You can get a new hks fcd on ebay for 99, or a turbosmart for 152.99 if you think its damaged.
If I do anything like that I'll probably look into the PnP FCD kit that goes for like $55 on these forums.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Do you have any soldering skills? I just built myself vrg3s cheap electronic fcd. I spent lesst than 10 at radioshack in parts.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:Do you have any soldering skills? I just built myself vrg3s cheap electronic fcd. I spent lesst than 10 at radioshack in parts.
Soldering no.
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

No soldering skills. I just went over and checked to see if I wired it wrong. No go still. Code 45. How do I even know if this fcd is powering on? The "PNP" kit I'm seeing that gets wired under the hood looks like a nightmare. Doesn't look clean at all.

That look like the right color wire?
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I would have to pull my panel and look. I wired my fcd in at the sensor.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Okay let me know
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

Does the power need to go to a specific spot?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

No, any 12v ignition switched will work.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Okay good. I used the cigarette lighter.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Tried a different connection at the ECU got it to work...For a few minutes then it popped a CEL and boom...no more boost. So I put it back together. This is a nightmare. I know more people have installed these dang things. Chasing this is not fun.

Anyone who has INSTALLED an FCD?
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I installed my HKS one at the ECU. I can grab a picture tomorrow if you need it.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Please
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Kinda shitty picture, but it is on B48.4. Black wire, with a red and white on either side of it. Purple wire from the fcd goes there, green should hook up to the input.

Sent from my mind using telepathy
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

In your second pic, it looks like you were counting from the wrong side of the plug. It's that same row, but 4th position in from the opposite side (not 4th wire, since the 1st position is unoccupied).

Oh, and in case you wanted some sort of assurance, I have been running this for at least 5 years with 0 issues. It is kinda annoying to set up initially (at least without someone else to help while you drive), but works like a champ once you do.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Baddog
Second Gear

Post by Baddog »

Forgot to mention I switched to that black wire and got it wired it. No CEL or anything. Took it for a test drive all was good then about half a mile later CEL popped on and car wouldn't boost.

Something not set right on the FCD? I had someone tell me it was the black wire in a message on a face book group and got the input and output wired right and had no issues till a minute into the test drive.

Would die when it would try to hit boost.
1996 Subaru Legacy L
1993 Subaru Legacy SS
1992 Subaru Legacy L
1990 Subaru Legacy L