Looking for ECU Pins (not pinout diagram)

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Looking for ECU Pins (not pinout diagram)

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I was looking to do some major rewiring of my Legacy some time in the not-so distant future, and was wondering where to get ECU harness pins. I am planning on replacing the engine compartment plug with something else, but I am going to be able to replace both sides, so I can use just about anything. For the ECU, I am stuck with those plugs, and would prefer not to use some already used pins and have to solder the wires together.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for ECU Pins (not pinout diagram)

Post by Legacy777 »

Kimo sent this to me not too long ago. It may give you some more options, but realistically my suggestion is to get an old harness, depin things from the connector and use them. You can check/test the connectors and wiring to verify their integrity. I'd use non-insulated crimp connectors as they are better for automotive applications and make for a cleaner install. There's more talk about that here.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... ir_Kit.pdf
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Pretty much what I was expecting to hear, unfortunately. all the kits it mentions in there seem to be terminals pre-crimped to a wire.

I just ordered a bunch of the non-insulated terminals and some various colors of wire. When I go stand-alone, I won't have to worry about those connectors anymore anyway.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

*disclaimer* I have not actually ordered these yet, but my research indicates that they are the proper pins.

The ECU connector is made by AMP. They are now TE Connectivity. The connector is part of the TE Multilock series. That can be Googled and TEs website had lots of documentation to peruse.

The ECU connector has two size pins and uses two sizes of wire.

The smaller pins used with the smaller wire are TE Connectivity part number 175265-1
The smaller pins used with the larger wire are TE Connectivity part number 175275-1
The larger pins used with the larger wire are TE Connectivity part number 175269-1

They can be Googled to find a vendor. I have used Newark/Element 14 before with success. They run about $0.10 each, so ordering a few to try won't be much. However, I'm sure a special crimping tool is required, and likely expensive.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the info on the pins!

A standard crimping tool should work ok....there are various ones, but here is what I have:

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produc ... cts_id/364

They've got other ones as well.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/index. ... 11_112_170
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The trick with these (and I'm sure others too) is that the crimp has two sections. A small section to crimp around the stripped part of the wire and a slightly larger section to crimp around the insulation as a minor strain relief.

Turns out these are also used on Harleys, so motorcycle based websites and shops should have the best prices on compatible crimpers.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks for those part numbers Jess! I'm gonna order some and see if they're the right ones. They're a little spendy on Amazon at $38/10. I'll have to shop around that's outrageous.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson