illumination fuse blowing

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93FrostWhite
In Neutral

illumination fuse blowing

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Alright so i've had no illuminations since i bought the car prev. owner said they worked when he had it but then suddenly went out. the owner before him had installed a light bar on the roof but it looked like all the wires from it were removed. i was under the dash today and found the cig. lighter black wire was off and corroded removed the plug put in a new fuse and still no go, its still the factory radio and no wires are cut behind it, i checked and can't find anything shorting it out, my question is what all gets power from the illumiation fuse so i no where to look?
dankberries
Second Gear

Re: illumination fuse blowing

Post by dankberries »

I believe the illumination box grounds on a metal tab comming off the stereo. Check where your stereo is and look for a single wire that connects to is or could connect to it. Its possible it is a two wire connection and its connected improperly and switched postions on the connecter from one wire to next.
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
93FrostWhite
In Neutral

Post by 93FrostWhite »

Found what it was!!!!! looks to be some wires going to the cluster may have got pinched when they changed the speedo cable.

But does anyone know where the hell this guy goes? its attached to the black single wire plug has a, looked like it was pulled out of a plug

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Looks like the ground that goes to the tab sticking out of the passenger side stereo bracket.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Those connectors are all diagnostic connectors.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... tion15.jpg

I suspect your problem is due to the previous owner wiring a gauge or something to the illumination system. The illumination system has an isolated ground system that goes to the illumination control unit. If you try and connect the chassis ground to the illumination ground it usually frys the illumination control unit. I would suggest pulling the illumination control unit and check for continuity between the illumination system ground and the chassis ground. If it has continuity you'll need to find where the previous owner connected the chassis ground to the illumination system ground. If you don't find continuity between the two, I'd see if you can borrow or find a used illumination control unit to replace your existing one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm