Taillight issues

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Pythonmsh
First Gear

Taillight issues

Post by Pythonmsh »

I'm having issues with my taillights and I'm not really sure of the issue.

Essentially my taillight fuse will blow once every month to month and a half. Generally I'm able to replace the fuse a few days later and itll work fine. But tonight I tried to replace it instantly as it blew and I blew 2 new fuses trying to get it to work. Pretty sure I can come back in a day or two and It'll work just fine and not blow the fuse for a while. It doesn't really matter on weather it seems, rain or shine. I don't think water is getting in anywhere but I could be wrong. I feel as if water was getting in somewhere my entire bulb would blow but that's not the case.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Taillight issues

Post by rallyak »

I would check your bulbs, some times a filament is broke and will short out and pop the fuse. I've seen this many times.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As mentioned in my PM, you've got a short somewhere and based on your description it's probably in the right rear where the rear wiring harness is routed.

Remove the rear panels to get access to the wiring loom and look for bare wires or burnt smelling wiring.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

Legacy777 wrote:As mentioned in my PM, you've got a short somewhere and based on your description it's probably in the right rear where the rear wiring harness is routed.

Remove the rear panels to get access to the wiring loom and look for bare wires or burnt smelling wiring.
For sure. If the wires end up being good where should I look next?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you don't see any bare wires I would recommend using a multimeter to check for continuity in the wiring and ground. I'd unplug the connector from the tail lamps and start there. There may also be an issue with the bulb or housing where it connects. You just may have to look at it and see if something doesn't look right.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

The harness looks clean and so does everything else. I also don't have a multimeter so I'm a bit at a loss, also not good with wiring at all. As I said in the PM to you I found exposed wiring to the right side marker (Body side harness). The wires were exposed but when I went to look farther back into the loom to see if there was anymore exposed it broke so now it's up somewhere and I have no idea to get it out. I feel as if it's grounding out somewhere now that it's loose up there.

http://imgur.com/A103yWq
http://imgur.com/HbsJmx0

Also I do have condensation in both my corner lights, but I almost doubt that's the issue. I've had tail light issues since I got the car but the condensation thing is new.

The rear assembly pieces with all the bulbs in it on both sides look very clean and tidy. Every single light on my car works but the tail lights (Running lights) and that's the only thing that blows. The bulbs have never blown itself. I was reading about a relay for the tail lights? I don't have a bad relay do I? Could the bad relay cause the fuse to blow over and over?

It's crazy when the fuse blows sometimes it's just not the fact that the inside wiring of the fuse is separated, few times it's been completely gone.

Also Legacy777 I know I PM'd you already just trying to get second opinions to see if I can get this figured out. But you seem to be the main guy to ask and very knowledgeable.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

the condensation is a problem too, that's not helping your situation
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

SILINC3R wrote:the condensation is a problem too, that's not helping your situation
Right and I plan on replacing the corner lights soon. I have EDM headlights on the way and I hear it's not a bad idea to get a set of EDM cornerlights to match. But I hear USDM ones just need a slight bit of modification.

This is irritating lol
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Well, that wont help your issue with the tail lights. You can use a silicone to seal them once you get them sorted and cleaned.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

SILINC3R wrote:Well, that wont help your issue with the tail lights. You can use a silicone to seal them once you get them sorted and cleaned.
If I can't get some EDM ones I might just buy these come payday
Also if the cornerlights were the issue wouldn't my turn signal fuse be blowing too?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-9 ... c9&vxp=mtr
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

We've been talking about this on FB, I didn't realize you had bare wiring on or around your front corner lights. If you have bare wiring, then yes you're going to short out and not all the time. I think it's time to pull the fender liners and look at the harness and inspect for more bare wires.

BUT.......

If the problem is at the tail lights, the easiest approach is pulling the trunk liners and checking out the wiring there.

Also, re-sealing your Tail lights and replacing your trunk seal can eliminate the condensation, unless you have cracked tail lights.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:We've been talking about this on FB, I didn't realize you had bare wiring on or around your front corner lights. If you have bare wiring, then yes you're going to short out and not all the time. I think it's time to pull the fender liners and look at the harness and inspect for more bare wires.

BUT.......

If the problem is at the tail lights, the easiest approach is pulling the trunk liners and checking out the wiring there.

Also, re-sealing your Tail lights and replacing your trunk seal can eliminate the condensation, unless you have cracked tail lights.
The bad wiring is the one to the right side marker. And where it broke off when I was checking it it broke back into this spot that I can't get too. I don't have a fender liner but it was coming through a hole down there and i literally have no idea how to get into there.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Not having a fender liner is why your wires are messed up Matt. Might be a good idea to track some down.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

cj91legss wrote:Not having a fender liner is why your wires are messed up Matt. Might be a good idea to track some down.
Right but I need to figure out how to get to those wires. It broke and it's up in a whole somewhere
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Show us some more detailed photos Matt. I'll try to help as much as possible.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Pull the fender off. It isn't to difficult to do
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

SILINC3R wrote:Pull the fender off. It isn't to difficult to do
Never said it was.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here are some more pictures of the stock wiring with the fenders off.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... ticbraces/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

Legacy777 wrote:Here are some more pictures of the stock wiring with the fenders off.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... ticbraces/
I plan on taking the fender off if weather cooperates today to find the side marker wires. I honestly think I just mis judged where the wires were coming from.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Pythonmsh wrote:
cj91legss wrote:Not having a fender liner is why your wires are messed up Matt. Might be a good idea to track some down.
Right but I need to figure out how to get to those wires. It broke and it's up in a whole somewhere

Never said you did.

When you ask a question in regards to how you are going to go about getting access to those wires. I provided a picture to show you. This forum isn't about stumping the new guy, we are here to help.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

SILINC3R wrote:
Pythonmsh wrote:

Never said you did.

When you ask a question in regards to how you are going to go about getting access to those wires. I provided a picture to show you. This forum isn't about stumping the new guy, we are here to help.
Right. I will be jacking the car up tomorrow and taking the wheel/fender off. I'm unable to get to a few bolts with the wheel on. I need to raise my coils up

http://imgur.com/NB5o8Hz

http://imgur.com/Bfhrz0q (Don't have much room with my big ass hands to get in there to get a few of em)

So It'll make it easier if I remove the wheel.

I found the exposed wires from the side marker and majority of them were touching causing a short. I'll be fixing that tomorrow. I tried to seperate the wires from each other as much as i could.
Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

3-4 days ago I took the wires and spread them apart for the mean time and no fuse blew when before they were all touching it blew instantly or within 20-30minutes.

took the wheel and fender off today and fixed the problem. I also tucked the wires against the body with zip ties cause the oem clips that held them were broken/getting old.

http://imgur.com/rSaFexi

It was completely melted to the cover lol. So i cut it back to good wire and electrical taped them separately. Also taped the outside plastic cover so it'd be protected more until I got a new harness thingy for the side marker and hook it up. I plan on replacing all 4 doors / fenders and vinyl wrapping the car so that'll be for later, I just want the tail lights working

So if it doesn't blow then this was most likely my issue.

Next stop... fixing my starter problems.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, that definitely looks like it was your problem.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Pythonmsh
First Gear

Post by Pythonmsh »

Lights have been working great for the past few months! I believe my issue was fixed.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good deal!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT