Anyone using LED headlight bulbs?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Anyone using LED headlight bulbs?

Post by kimokalihi »

Found these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MOR4CC ... 3459414781

Wondering if they'll significantly improve light output over Sylvania silverstar bulbs. I use their top of the line bulbs and they're $60 a pair at AutoZone. I'd rather pay $130 for these if I only need one more pair for the rest of my cars life and they put out more light than the silverstars.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
bcmaxx
First Gear

Re: Anyone using LED headlight bulbs?

Post by bcmaxx »

kimokalihi wrote:Found these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MOR4CC ... 3459414781

Wondering if they'll significantly improve light output over Sylvania silverstar bulbs. I use their top of the line bulbs and they're $60 a pair at AutoZone. I'd rather pay $130 for these if I only need one more pair for the rest of my cars life and they put out more light than the silverstars.
They look good. Those particular ones are for projector lenses. Look for the 360 degree type
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Are Sylvania's expensive bulbs actually that much better than the cheap bulbs nowadays? I tried Silverstars quite some years ago and felt like I got robbed, 0 difference in light output and just a barely noticeable bluish hue that didn't do anything for luminosity.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I posted some pics of led's headlights in my 90 and I'm not using them because of the light beam scatter. In my wife's truck 04 dodge they work good.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

bcmaxx wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:Found these on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MOR4CC ... 3459414781

They look good. Those particular ones are for projector lenses. Look for the 360 degree type
The Amazon page says they are 360 degree bulbs. I was skeptical though because it looks like there is only leds on one side. On the manufacturer's website they only show a 50watt version for 9004 bulbs which is odd because a quick search on Amazon shows these newer 80wart bulbs.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

This is from speaking with my sponsor, Diode Dynamics on whether there were LED bulbs to put in the rally car. They basically said that with the older mirror style on these headlights, the LED's are a decrease in performance because of how sharp the lights gets projected from the LED housings themselves. When we tried to install an HID kit the scatter was awful, so went back to a halogen bulb. The only way to put in an LED headlight bulb (PROPERLY!) is to retrofit a projector lens.

Given that Diode has hooked me up with whatever products we need, the fact they didn't want to throw in a set of LED bulbs or their HID kit into something that wouldn't be safe says a lot. Plenty of companies will be happy to push their product on you claiming its fantastic and a big upgrade when in reality its the opposite.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I see. Makes sense. Thanks for the input. I guess glass headlights are the only way. I'm not into the idea of retrofitting anything in my headlights. Always comes out looking ugly and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to aim them properly.
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Ii noticed a big improvement with piaa xtreme white bulbs amd even bigger when i installed relay harnesses.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

kimokalihi wrote:I see. Makes sense. Thanks for the input. I guess glass headlights are the only way. I'm not into the idea of retrofitting anything in my headlights. Always comes out looking ugly and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to aim them properly.

For the pre-face cars, yes going with the EDM glass headlamps is really the best upgrade path.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

bcmaxx wrote:Ii noticed a big improvement with piaa xtreme white bulbs amd even bigger when i installed relay harnesses.
+1

But the brighter bulbs do not last as long. I initially put in Osram 70/65w Off-Road bulbs and they lasted about 3 months! I stopped driving w/mine all the time due to their shorter lifespan.

From my research the Philips VisionPlus bulbs are good compromise. As noted the Silverstars are NOT.

The Daniel Sterns relay kit is one way to go.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Chrisg03
First Gear

Post by Chrisg03 »

i had cheap 10$ 100W bulbs and they were just as bright as the Silverstars i have now...however the silverstars run much much cooler while the cheap ones made the glass headlamps extremely hot to the touch and even melted my H4 harness once
Always open to learn
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

wtdash wrote:
bcmaxx wrote:Ii noticed a big improvement with piaa xtreme white bulbs amd even bigger when i installed relay harnesses.
+1

But the brighter bulbs do not last as long. I initially put in Osram 70/65w Off-Road bulbs and they lasted about 3 months! I stopped driving w/mine all the time due to their shorter lifespan.

From my research the Philips VisionPlus bulbs are good compromise. As noted the Silverstars are NOT.

The Daniel Sterns relay kit is one way to go.

Td
I use the silverstar ultrasound and there was definitely a big difference over regular bulbs and they lasted about 25-30k miles still going over 5-6 years.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Legacy777 wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:I see. Makes sense. Thanks for the input. I guess glass headlights are the only way. I'm not into the idea of retrofitting anything in my headlights. Always comes out looking ugly and it doesn't seem like it would be easy to aim them properly.

For the pre-face cars, yes going with the EDM glass headlamps is really the best upgrade path.
Are the facelift headlights better?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The face lift USDM lights are better than the pre-face lift USDM lights. So, while the EDM lights may still be an upgrade the improvement probably wouldn't be as significant as on the pre-face lift cars.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I see. Too bad they had to change the shape. Improved reflector?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you asking between the USDM and EDM or pre and post face lift USDM cars?

The main difference is the bulb; the USDM pre face lift use a 9004 bulb while the USDM post face lift use an H4 bulb. I'm sure the reflector and overall optics on the lense are different, but that is due to the different lighting requirements for North America vs. Europe.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Pre and post usdm is what I was asking about.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the reflector is going to be different and more than likely better because the USDM post face lift uses a completely different bulb (9004 vs. H4).
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I could see about as well in the pre face EDM's as my post face USDM's. My old 89 Volvo 240's headlights dominated all though ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Hey does anyone know if the end pre facelift housings are still available? If so, please pm me the details.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Look on ebay poland or holland. Pretty much any LHD country's ebay should have it, if you can find the words for "legacy" and "headlight" in the local language. Thanks google translate!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
cjwilson54
In Neutral

Post by cjwilson54 »

When I tried the Silverstars they burnt out in less than a year. Bought HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf for the projector low beams on my 2016 Legacy and so far so good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

I don't feel like typing out a novel, there is plenty of science out there to support the following statement:

DO NOT INSTALL HID/LED "BULBS" INTO A HALOGEN LAMP.

A halogen lamp's reflector is designed SPECIFICALLY for a halogen bulb and the way light is emitted from the halogen filament (line-shaped light source). By placing an HID (arc-shaped light source) or LED (dot-shaped light source(s)) you are undoing millions of dollars worth of time and effort spent by engineers.

The only real way to upgrade your lighting, beyond better wiring/bulbs/lamps, is to retrofit your existing lamps. You can't slap that "plug 'n' play" BS into a halogen lamp and expect real results. The human brain is REALLY good at tricking us into thinking "More light = improved night vision," but this is not the case.
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited