ac compressor style?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

xtech210
In Neutral

ac compressor style?

Post by xtech210 »

im doing a conversion on my AC system and discovered (after replacing the gaskets, dryer filter..) that the compressor is seized. will need a new one.

im looking on amazon for a reman and found one that will suit my needs, but i had a q about the compressor itself. there are 2 types that amazon lists as compatible.

first one: Notes: w/ V5-15G Compressor, Reman w/ Clutch

second one: Notes: w/ DCW17 Compressor, Reman w/ Clutch

both are listed as compatible with my subaru (legacy L wagon). my scooby isnt here right now (wife has her, shes at work) so i cant look on the compressor itself. when i was looking at it though, i didnt see anything besides what the high/low side pressure should be (though it IS a dirty plate). is there some way i can know for sure? maybe by VIN?

i checked autozone and advance auto parts, both list the same styles as being compatible with my car. which one do i actually need?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ac compressor style?

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

What year is your Legacy?

Depending on the year, there were two different brand AC compressors/systems. One was the Calsonic and the other was Zexel. Based on a quick internet search the V5-15G would be a replacement for the Calsonic compressor while the DCW17 would be a replacement for the Zexel.

I would suggest looking on the existing compressor as it should have the manufacturer info.

I will caution you that if the compressor seized the system should be flushed or you will likely have the reman compressor die prematurely. Additionally, I talked with an AC guy a while back and the Calsonic compressors that use variable compression really can't be rebuilt. Most "reman" units use existing head ends and the parts that can be replaced are. So just keep that in mind.

Are you planning to convert your AC to r134a or keep it r12 (assuming it was r12 to begin with). If you're looking to convert it to r134a, check out my conversion thread.

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... =11&t=1083
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
xtech210
In Neutral

Post by xtech210 »

oh lord THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT INFO!!!! im in texas also, san antonio. do you know brianne corn by chance?

anywho, the car is a 91 legacy L, 2.2 motor (non-interference i believe). the dryer has been replaced, the lines had a vacuum pulled on them but were not flushed. we didnt get that far, as we discovered the seized compressor.

i am converting it to r134. that exact thread is where i got all my information about the conversion from. i even got ester oil since we had planned on using the compressor (but not draining it). since the system will be flushed when the compressor is replaced, im going to switch to PAG-100 as you suggested.

fwiw im a volvo guy and this is my second subaru. i had a 97 that blew the headgasket (2.5 motor, prev. owner replaced HG at 80k with another OEM gasket... and it popped at 220k). this motor seems to be a lot more solid than the 2.5.
xtech210
In Neutral

Post by xtech210 »

alright, woke up, checked out compressor. i have a DCW17 compressor. will be ordering this one up and following your thread. THANKS SO MUCH for all that info!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, you have to have AC in the Texas summers....it's just unbearable :)

I know of Brianne through some of the local Texas Facebook Subaru groups other Subaru people, but don't know her personally.

Yeah the 2.2 motor is a much more solid motor than the 2.5. These first gen Legacies are pretty easy to work on and pretty reliable.

Let us know if you have any questions as you continue working on things.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xtech210
In Neutral

Post by xtech210 »

i got the car from her, the 91 (not the 97 that blew the hg). she has a track out in san marcos that i need to get out on once.

so, i know what compressor i need, flush the system before recharging, use a 3oz can of pag-100 oil, 2 cans of r134. dryer already replaced, vacuum'd the system once and it pulled a 29 after sitting for 30-ish minutes. should i look for a leak? im probably going to use one can that has dye in it just in case.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you let the system stabilize after pulling a deep vacuum and you see no loss in vacuum after 30 minutes you should be good. Adding dye is good insurance though for future diagnostics, but can be messy if you do have a leak.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT