Both low beams not working, high beams work fine

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Overclocked
In Neutral

Both low beams not working, high beams work fine

Post by Overclocked »

Hi everyone, I've been having some more electrical problems on my 1992 Legacy turbo. It's strange how much its been producing small electrical gremlins. Awesome car though.

Everything was working great this morning, both low/high beams. On my way home I noticed both the low beams were not working. The high beams still work fine.

I checked the bulbs, they don't appear visibly broken, and passed the continuity test.
Every fuse in the car passed the continuity test. Swapping the twin relays for L/R headlights did nothing. The parking brake indicator on the dash turns off at the correct time, meaning that that sensor should be fine. Main problem is that there is no 12V coming to the low beam wire.

I will be deciphering wiring diagrams in any case, but just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions :)
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Both low beams not working, high beams work fine

Post by wtdash »

HI,
Based on what I think I read, I'd test your turn-signal stalk. I've had issues where HIGH beams didn't work, but for whatever reason started working so I never had to 'fix it'.
GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Overclocked
In Neutral

Post by Overclocked »

I've tested the lighting switch per the service manual. There's continuity between pins 1 and 3 when the switch is set to the 2nd position, and no continuity between these pins on the other positions. This is correct.

I would test the dimmer and passing switch, but I cannot find the black 8 pin connector, even after tracing all the wires along the steering column.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You need to test pins 2 & 3 for the low beams. This will tell you whether the stalk is good or not.

The connectors should be on the right side of the steering wheel just where the other connector was located.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've got the same problem on my sister's legacy but low beams only work. On my legacy it's an intermittent thing where sometimes it takes a second to siwth to high beams or sometimes it doesn't come on until I flick the stalk back and fourth a few times.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson