Passenger headlight just glows

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

Passenger headlight just glows

Post by jefferson »

I have had this problem for a while and would like to get it resolved. I am assuming it is a ground issue. It glows on both high and low beam. I have noticed that there have been a few times when it lights normally. I pulled the grounds apart that were on that side of the car and cleaned them again as I had done this at some previous time. There were only 2 grounds that I found and these were the one on the strut tower and the one on the frame beside the head. I got no improvement in the light output. Is there another ground point I don't know about or is this problem inside the harness somewhere? I really hope there is a ground point I don't know about.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Passenger headlight just glows

Post by Legacy777 »

The headlights are backwards to what most people think; they use a switched ground setup through the control stalk. So instead of having two power leads (one for low beam and one for high beam) and a ground, it's backwards. There are two grounds and one power lead.

I would recommend checking to see what voltage you have going to the light. It may be low and that's why you're getting the same result on both low and high beams.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

So the center blade would be the power and the outer 2 would be the grounds, correct. I pretty much know the voltage will be low. Maybe I could swap the relays and see if the drivers side glows.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No, pin 3 is power. Here is the wiring diagram.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I think what I am calling the center blade is pin 3 by the diagram as 3 is between 1 and 2.
I stopped messing with this as I think I have a pretty bad front wheel bearing. Not making any noise like wheel bearings do and I was told they go bad without making any noise.