Best odyssey battery

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Danteandsoob
First Gear

Best odyssey battery

Post by Danteandsoob »

So I've searched here and the internet, but can't find what i'm looking for exactly. I was wondering what odyssey batteries you guys use for DD's and how well they work for people in colder climates. I live in new mexico, where, yes it gets hot in the summer; but also extremely cold in the winters (below freezing most winter mornings) so i'm trying to find a odyssey battery that is good for cold cranking, and be reliable but also have some weight savings. The main ones I had been looking at where the PC680 and PC625.
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best odyssey battery

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't have any experience with Odyssey Batteries. Are these smaller batteries or same dimensions, but just lighter?

Hopefully someone else can provide some more feedback.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I haven't had any problem starting my Subarus with Interstate, factory and yellowtop batteries in freezing weather. I suspect either of those batteries will work for you. Kimokalihi uses a ultra lightweight Braille battery in the winter and hasn't had problems (that I've heard).
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

Smaller batteries, lighter, and less CCA then a traditional OEM battery, Josh.
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I have been using a pc680 for years, but did have some issues which could be caused by the underdrive pulley I have on the crank. Talking with one of their engineers it sounded like it was slowly being discharged to where it wouldn't crank the car. It wouldn't even make a click. Touch the posts with a charger and it would crank fine and start. Kind of weird if you ask me. I had a pc 925 in the S4 that was on blocks and it took that battery out and used it. No problems with it at all. The 680 will be going back in for the autocross's though as I made a nice aluminum holder for it so it would pass tech, and it is lighter you know.
I am going to do the load testing on the connections to make sure they are all good and even still add some grounds and bypass the harness on the positive. Should be good to go after that.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

I've looked in to them in the past but went with a yellow top every time. I've had only two failures with the yellow tops, one was my fault, I left my door open while on a two week vacation, it charged up but wasn't 100% but it was 9 years old. The other one froze while driving through Canada, it was -67 at the Alaska/canada border. I think all battery's will freeze at that temperature.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

I've had my Odyssey battery in my 2010 WRX for 4 years now.
Not a single issue.
I had another battery in the Legacy, and it died on me in the winter, so I swapped the Odyssey battery into the Legacy and have just kept it in there. Fortunately they are the same model, 35-PC1400T

The Legacy has discharged the battery a few times on me (the keyless system I installed in the car seems to kill the battery if I don't charge it/move the car for about 3 or 4 days). But these batteries aren't fazed by discharges the way a regular battery is.

Even storing these batteries is impressive. Just disconnect the negative terminal off the car and it's good for 2 years like that, down to -40F.

Winters here are usually around -22F where I am, and the Legacy is outside in it.

I would definitely replace any of my other cars batteries with another.