Help me locate which wire to wire

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MConte05
Second Gear

Help me locate which wire to wire

Post by MConte05 »

Alrighty. So. This is going to be hard to explain. Hopefully I can get away with not uploading pictures just yet.

SO!

I was trimming my interior dash harness (rally car, race car, whee) and doing a good job of it when I accidently snipped a wire that I shouldn't have. Thought nothing of it, I'll just easily butt splice it back together right? So a few days later I go back to finish up the harness and go to butt splice the blue-red wire that I had accidently cut. Except now I have two blue-red wires coming from the same plug.... Uh oh....

And of course the only online electrical diagram doesn't exactly help in locating the plug in question. So I'll try and explain it.

If you look under the dash, near the ECU, there is a bracket that holds 3 plugs. A white one, a black one, and a blue one. The plug in question I believe is the white one. (It's possible its either B34, B35, or B36 in the wiring diagrams). The wire I cut was a blue/red one. I ended up just connecting all 3 of the wires. The wire I believe originated from the actual dashboard/gauges harness.

Would someone who has access to a cleaner/easier/possible book be able to help me out and tell me which wire goes where? My EJ20G swap started up, and I get a CEL that only comes on when I touch the throttle. It's basically like a throttle switch. I have a feeling it's related to the blue-red wires that I crossed/cut/merged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
colemanapp
In Neutral

Re: Help me locate which wire to wire

Post by colemanapp »

No help on the book but I have a 91 SS Legacy in Chesterfield, MO you could look at if its you get in a bind.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

I do have a parts leggy in my driveway that I can start to dig into. But that means taking apart the dash and getting to those wires in the back, then taking apart the harness to trace it. Not too much fun... :)

Right now its going to be a "cut the left, or cut the right" kind of deal.... 50/50 chance. Just hoping to improve my odds. :)

You should come down to the Show Me Rally this saturday in Potosi! Only about an hour from Chesterhood. This ole legacy will be first on the road and screaming in the woods.

http://showmerally.100aw.org/
colemanapp
In Neutral

Post by colemanapp »

Good luck in Potosi this weekend. I was there last year spectating off Floyd Tower and have seen your legacy ripping up the woods at the 100 ac as well. Unfortunately, its Mizzou family weekend so its off to see the supposed owner of that legacy.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

I literally just had my harness all torn apart and doing the same thing a few weeks ago on my car. That would have been convenient if I still had mine to look at. Sorry man.

So what you are saying is you snipped what you thought was 1 wire and it ended up cutting 2?
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

I snipped one wire, and on the same plug appears to be two B-r wires. One of which I deemed unessecary, and deleted it eariler.

So basically going to be looking at both wire. Cut one. If the CEL goes away. Cool. If not, I'll cut the other one and butt-splice the one I cut back. :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What year and model?

What are the pin locations for each of the wires?

I'll try and look tomorrow when I get a little more time. B36 is the blue connector, so if it didn't come from that we can rule that out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

1991 Turbo SS

Not blue, white. Turns out its the plugs right in front when you pull the lower kickboard off. Went to go look at my parts car.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, I know I was just stating that we can rule out B36 since it's the blue connector.

Is this the white connector you're referring to? (Bottom of the pic)

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

That'd be the one! You can even see the two B-r wires in question. The one on the far top right and then the one that is 5th from the left.

Those are the two I have tied together right now. I determined one was useless for me. Could be related to radio/AC/lights/something that I didn't need for the rally car.

Any help identifying what those two wires do will be a huge help!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

According to the 1990 FSM wiring diagrams:

B35, white connector, Top right corner of connector in picture, pin #10. Color blue/red (code LR in FSM). Goes between the brake fluid level sensor and the instrument cluster. Ground to illuminate the "brake" warning light.

B35, white connector, 5th wire from top left of connector in picture, pin #5. Color blue/red (code LR in FSM). Up/Down motor control on left side rear view mirror.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Thanks!

So I had definitely cut out the wiring for the power mirrors. So I'll leave the sensor for the brake fluid.

Now to figure out my IAC issue on this swap... bah.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Could someone throw up the IAC wiring diagram for me to reference? I recently did an EJ20G swap, and switched to COP. Starts up, idles high and tries to stay alive. Doesn't seem to idle very smoothly either.

Thanks.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can browse through a variety of scans on my server.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

Here are the 92 legacy iac valve diagram.
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... C_Diag.zip
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT