Engine management

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ej22tfun
In Neutral

Engine managemt

Post by Ej22tfun »

First let me say sorry if this is in the wrong section. But im very curious about something i recently heard. So i recently got a 1991 subaru legacy ss and put and fully built ej22t with ej20g heads and a vf30 turbo. And what i want to know is is it safe to get am adjustable FPR and simply feed the motor more fuel so i can run more boost and monitor it with a wideband AFR guage. instead of getting a stand alone ecu or a rob tune. Ive heard of people doing this just curious if its safe or if it'll turn my motor into a ticking time bomb. Thanks for the help!

Heres a list of my mods
Ej22t with all manly forged internals
Ej20g heads
Vf30 turbo
440cc injectors
Fuel cut defender
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Full 3" turbo back exhuast
Short ram air intake
06 wrx tmic
2003 wrx wagon (stock),1992 subaru legacy SS, built 1991 subaru legacy SS
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: Engine management

Post by Alphius »

It might work out alright, but you won't make nearly as much power and it won't be as safe as a RobTune. For the minimal investment, I'd just do it safe and do it the right way.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I vote that since you have the built engine you spend the money on a tuned ecu. You cant have the throttle response, HP and MPG without it. Won't be in the same league.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

RobTune for sure if you are on a budget. He's done great work for me and my rally car. Incredibly reliable for minimal investment.

If you want to go crazy and spend way too much time with potentially less power and endless tweaking, then could look into a megasquirt. Or if you want to just plop down a bunch of money and have a tuner take care of you, the ViPec ECU's have a drop in board for EJ20G's.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you're running the stock ej22t ECU, it will run quite rich with the 440 injectors and you won't have the adjustability with fueling...it'll be crude at best. Additionally, you will likely max out the MAF sensor and at that point you pretty much lose all control of fueling via the ECU and fueling adjustment is just by the increase or decrease in fuel pressure caused by the FPR.

I'll echo the others and recommend going for some sort of EM. What you proposed could be made to work half ass, but if you've spent the money on forged internals, don't cheap out on engine management.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm