SAFC Settings

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GarageBuilt
In Neutral

SAFC Settings

Post by GarageBuilt »

Good afternoon guys,

I have a 1997 Impreza Brighton wagon that I've dropped the engine from my 1992 Legacy Turbo into. Straight swap, complete 22t engine (with 97 cam and crank sensors and turbo upgrade, etc) running off of the stock 97 1.8 ecu and wiring harness. This is not the first time I've done something like this (my old 97 legacy GT was running a 2.2t block with 25D heads with stock engine management), but the last swap I did was running a matching MAF and ECU, so I had no problems. I am running the BC legacy metal MAF with this current swap, as the stock 1.8 maf was pooched. The engine is running fine and pulling hard as OBD2 with an SAFC Neo air fuel controller, but I am having issues with the MAF settings needed to make it run perfectly and to minimize correction values. I have contacted APEX'i regarding the issue, and they have no answers for me. Which MAF settings are you guys running in your Legacys? APEX'i does not list a MAF number for the 22t.

COLES NOTES:

- EJ22t in 97 Impreza with original OBD2 1.8 ECU
- EJ22t metal MAF
- SAFC Neo
- Need MAF in/out settings (even just IN setting would be fine)

Thanks in advance!
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: SAFC Settings

Post by Alphius »

Any chance you can find and use a matching MAF to your ECU?
The alternative if nobody chimes in here would be to use a wideband to dial in the MAF properly.
GarageBuilt
In Neutral

Post by GarageBuilt »

I am running a wideband. The car is currently running fairly well and behaving well under boost, but MAF settings make a huge difference in driveability, which is what it's really lacking right now. Currently I've got it running at 14.9:1 at idle, and 12.9-13.2 at full throttle. It will only boost if I roll into it though, if I give it any sudden throttle input, whether low or high, it stumbles and leans out slightly. I've tuned my last 5 turbo cars with an SAFC, and have never had an issue until now. Also, if I somehow find a 1.8 MAF, the TD04 will quickly outflow it and end up causing my more issues. An EJ25D MAF can also be used with no issues, but the metal MAF is more suited to my application. I have been going back and forth with APEX'i all day, and have had 2 separate technicians return my call, the second one from Japan. Both of them said that they have no idea and they will need to do some research. I have the setting at the old reliable Subaru 4 in, 4 out right now, which allows me to drive around fairly normally. Just would like to get everything straightened out and get it running as I know it should. Also, I should add that there are currently no codes stored in the ecu.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Unfortunately, I don't know of any or many people running the SAFC's any more. I tried something similar, but never had good results with it on the EJ22t.

It might be worth trying a 1.8 MAF just to see how the engine/ECU react. You may overflow it, but if you keep boost limited you could at least test whether the drivability is there. MAF transfer functions are quadratic so it's possible the table in the 1.8 ECU doesn't like the Hitachi metal MAF.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
GarageBuilt
In Neutral

Post by GarageBuilt »

Update: Every issue the car had was caused by a bad ecu. I have a '97 Impreza Outback parts car sitting here, so out of curiosity decided to swap in the 2.2 ecu from that car. Had to re-tune to get the SAFC air maps perfect, but the 2.2 ecu fixed everything (even a terrible warm-up stumble and random parking lot acceleration). Car is pulling hard and stoich for the first time in it's life, and driving great on and off boost.

P.S. Decided to stay with the tried and tested 4 IN, 4 OUT Subaru MAF settings.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Bill
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad to hear you got things sorted out Bill.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm