Heater works for for about 10 seconds then stops

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

YetiSmasher
First Gear

Heater works for for about 10 seconds then stops

Post by YetiSmasher »

Hey everybody, so on my 91 ss when I turn the heater/defrost on after warming my car up, itll turn on for about 10-15 seconds then completely shut off... really annoying cause i can't see anything out of windshield in the morning on my way to work. Thoughts? Suggestions ? I put a new blower motor in it but that doesn't seem to be the problem. And I also took out the a/c if that makes a difference.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Heater works for for about 10 seconds then stops

Post by rallyak »

Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heater works for for about 10 seconds then stops

Post by Legacy777 »

I would agree with Charles, the control unit probably has some bad solder joints. Also, since you've removed the AC the defrost will not pull the moisture out of the air and the defroster will not be as effective.

Clean windows help a lot with keeping them from fogging up. Over time residue can build up and some glass cleaners are not as good at removing that residue. I have found that chlorinated brake cleaner without petroleum distillates works very well at removing the residue and doesn't leave much of a film on the window. You can then go back with some glass cleaner and a towel to get everything streak free. DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER ON TINTED WINDOWS.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm