Horn Problems

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

none77
In Neutral

Horn Problems

Post by none77 »

Hi,

A few month ago someone broke into my car, and tried to steal the stereo. They broke most of the plastic dash around the stereo, and pulled on some wiring.

Since, the break in . The Horn will only work if the Steering wheel is turned 90 degrees in either direction.

If steering wheel is in normal straight position, horn doesn't work. If steering wheel is turned or upside down, horn works fine.

I'm assuming the contacts for the horn in the steering wheel must damaged or dirty, but thought I would ask before I start trying to take it apart.

Thanks!
Lou
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Horn Problems

Post by cj91legss »

Did they damage the turn signal/wiper stalk at all? Have you removed the airbag from the steering wheel to look at the horn wire yet?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
none77
In Neutral

Post by none77 »

The turn signal/wiper stalk is not damaged. My car is 1991 and doesn't have airbags to my knowledge. My next step is to disassembly the steering wheel and examine parts.

I thought I would check here first. The people on this site have been incredibly helpful, in helping me to repair my car.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can easily remove the horn cover. I would start there and try manually connecting the horn contacts there. More than likely the issue is in the wiring harness on the column or further down the line.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
none77
In Neutral

Post by none77 »

I got my tools, and headed out to investigate the problems with horn. It mysteriously worked... So, I decided to leave it alone.