Swap problems (crank but no start)

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

birkettw
In Neutral

Swap problems (crank but no start)

Post by birkettw »

Hi guys first off I'd like to say this forum is incredible with how knowledgeable and helpful you guys are.

I bought a 94 turbo sedan 5spd parts car and swapped the engine and trans into my 92 wagon automatic. I switched the cam and crank positive pins at the ecu connector and wired in all the turbo sensors. In order for it to start I took out the starter interlock box and plugged in the gear selector thing from the side of the transmission into the harness on the car and set it to park. Now it cranks but it isn't getting spark or fuel. I checked the plug at the fuel pump with the test light and the pump isn't getting 12v it just isn't running when you turn the car on. It hasn't thrown an engine light code, however I put the turbo gauge cluster in it. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here or have any idea how I can make this swap work? I'm suppose to drive this car home in 7 days (I'm on vacation from college).
1994 white turbo sedan (parts car)
1992 soon-to-be-turbo blue wagon
birkettw
In Neutral

Re: Swap problems (crank but no start)

Post by birkettw »

Update: the fuel pump relay works when I ground one of the connections so the ecu is not sending a signal to it
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is the TCU still in the car? I'm assuming the 92 wagon was AT to begin with, if that's the case you essentially need to follow the wiring instructions from my AWD & 5spd conversion.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swa ... rical.html

I'd recommend reviewing everything there and you can let us know what you've done from there and what you haven't done. Then we can provide additional guidance.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
birkettw
In Neutral

Post by birkettw »

I figured it out! There must have been a difference between the engine harnesses because when I swapped them it fired right up. Thanks for your write up it has been a life saver.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome, glad to hear you got it running.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm