Intermittent no start with Code 51 Code 11

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Plazma
First Gear

Intermittent no start with Code 51 Code 11

Post by Plazma »

Back with that awful periodic no start issue.

Riding in a 1990 Subaru Legacy 5MT (swapped from a 4EAT). The issue seemed to have resolved itself for quite some time. Just recently it has reared its ugly head again.

So I did the swap following Legacy777's write up all the way through on his site. I have pins 11/12 jumpered (using solder not crimps in all cases. :\) on the B15 AT connector.

After that in the patch harness everything seems to be wired correctly with the Starter interlock relay wired into the IG-1 circuit. I'm making this assumption because from time to time, the car starts up with no problems at all. Engage the clutch, turn the key, and presto. This takes care of the Neutral Switch wires running from the B15 MT/AT connectors.

So that's the harness, I think everything is done correctly at least from what I read and what I see happening in the car.

I have noticed that if I rock the car back and forth while it's in 1st or 2nd gear sometimes I can get the car to start right up. Other times I'm not so lucky and it takes a combination of messing with the 12v wire that goes from the battery to the starter, and with the Crank Sensor that hooks up to the back of the starter.

That being said, when I try to start the car and it doesn't turn, I get a Code 11 with my crank angle sensor. If the car starts that goes away immediately.

The other code I get is 51, the abnormal input from the Neutral switch. I think the car thinks I'm permanently in Neutral because I can't get the Cruise Control to kick over. However very rarely the Cruise control will work. I'd like to get this neutral thing resolved so I can use my cruise control on longer trips. 1600 miles without cruise control was not a good experience.

When this problem first started occurring someone recommended switching to a button start set up (I'm not really sure how to go about doing that but at this point I really don't care I just want to be able to start my car with no issues.)

Any thoughts, suggestions, or questions are very welcomed. Thanks for any help in advance.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intermittent no start with Code 51 Code 11

Post by Legacy777 »

Try jumpering/bypassing the starter interlock relay by removing the relay and jumpering pins 3 & 4 (heavier gauge wire). I'd suggest starting with that to see if that fixes your starting issue.

As for the neutral switch, are you sure you got the wiring correct? Did you snip that wire that was going to the gauge cluster as described in my write-up?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Plazma
First Gear

Re: Intermittent no start with Code 51 Code 11

Post by Plazma »

I'm going to try the jumping tomorrow and see what happens.

As for the wire you're talking about, I know for a fact I cut the AT/MT identifier wire. and I'm like 99% sure I cut the wire that feeds power to the Shift Tree. Nothing lights up there anymore. I'll double check on that and see what's what.