Heater blower motor replacement motor

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Smithcraft
Second Gear

Heater blower motor replacement motor

Post by Smithcraft »

It would seem that the heater blower motor in my car is dying.

I picked up a replacement motor at ORLYS only to find that it doesn't fit*. I did test it by connecting it, and I think you could fly a small plane with that motor! Returning it was fairly painless.

So other than going and trying to find one at a salvage yard, or paying Subaru their blood money for a dusty box, does anyone know of a good option for replacing the motor? I'm getting tired of leaning over and giving it a good rap when it's not working.

SC

* - The item in the picture should fit, but the motor that came in the box was slightly different. The air vent opening was on the wrong side as well as too big to fit the stock hose (the included hose is only good for the shape it comes in) and the connector was recessed into the motor body.
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Re: Heater blower motor replacement motor

Post by Smithcraft »

With a bit more spelunking around on the interwebs, I found this fun thread at USMB, and that seems to have helped out substantially. The motor spools up when I turn on the HVAC, as opposed to having to build up speed. I also didn't have to knock on it to get it spinning.

I'm not sure if this is a long term solution, so if anyone has a good lead on a blower motor, that would be great!

SC
Last edited by Smithcraft on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

So far it's working really well! Something is rubbing, so this weekend I might consider dropping it again and see if I can see what's what.

For future reference, if your fan motor is behaving erratically, and you suspect that it might just be the same thing that happened with mine I will suggest this much simpler service.

Get a painters mask(or go bandito style and use your Subaru bandana), some paper towels, and a sharpie or other marker.

Lay the paper towels under the motor.

Using a phillips screw driver, remove the two screws on the bottom of the motor. Mark the side of the motor and the edge of the bottom cover to indicate the alignment of the bottom cover.

Don the painters mask, and gently pry the bottom cover off of the bottom of the motor.

A good deal of dust/dirt/stuff will fall out of the motor. As per the link listed above some of that stuff is not good for you! Make sure you have the mask on!. Give the motor a couple of taps with the screw driver to knock anything loose that you can, and clean the bottom cover.

Replace the bottom cover, and try the fan. It should spin to life, and you didn't have to remove the glove box or the sharp edged brace that it mounts to.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hopefully this will keep the motor working for a bit longer.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

Legacy777 wrote:Hopefully this will keep the motor working for a bit longer.
Well, it lasted a bit longer.

I broke down and took the glove box, and the glove box mount out, to get the blower motor out again.

It didn't even want to spin when I was holding it in my hand, and turned on. :(

I took the bottom cover off, again. I noticed that the brush assembly was just held in by some rubber mounts, so I took it out, and as I was suspecting, it looks like the brushes are nearly gone. I'm gonna hit a parts yard or two on the morrow, and see if I can find a motor that has better brushes. Then see if I can get brushes made. I've already contacted an alternator shop that's in the other end of Seattle, and hopefully they will be able to get back to me quickly, and with good news!

I also looked at more replacement fans online. It looks like you could use them if you could rotate the motor in the mounting flange, but I'm guessing that won't happen. What is it about our generation of Legacys that make some things so exciting?

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

I picked up 3 OEM blower motors and one aftermarket motor. The aftermarket motor was bought at Carquest and doesn't have the connector, but had the two wires coming out of it, which had connectors crimped on, and taped into the connector on the loom.

In a bit I'll get to opening up the motors to look at the brushes.

The alternator shop said the brushes are different than the ones in alternators, so they don't work on blower motors.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

The things I endure for you guys!

SC

ps - The Land Rover next to it had a banner that I used as a blanket for that "interior."
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

that's disgusting! Which yard is it, south end auto wrecking?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

Wow! Yes it was South End Auto Wrecking! The car was up against the fence so I couldn't go in through the passenger side. It's in the back corner with a couple of dozen cars in front of it, so I guess it's been there a long time.

They have a sedan that is waiting for the paperwork to clear. I didn't quite notice if it was pre, or post, facelift.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I dont think ive seen that one. The parts manager there, Wes, used to work at my old favorite Junkyard, B&R Graham.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mike knows his junk yards ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

Wes seemed pretty cool. I have to call him up and see if the sedan has been cleared to salvage on the morrow.

While I was in FW this afternoon, I saw an alternator shop. I will try to contact them maybe next week and see if they might be more helpful about the brushes.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

You may also want to try hitting up a small appliance repair shop for those brushes. Household fans and such would probably be a more likely source for that style of brush.
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

Cool! I'll see what I can see.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB