Blower motor relay weirdness

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nortonjefferson
First Gear

Blower motor relay weirdness

Post by nortonjefferson »

Hey everyone, I replaced the blower motor relay in my car about a month and a half ago. I got in my car this morning and wouldn't you know it my fan has stopped working again. I didn't go as far as to pull the fan out but I went and pulled my NEW OEM relay out of the plug and it seems as if there was a short or something?!! The plug on the car side had melted plastic. Like not to the point of not being able to be plugged into the relay, just one connection has melted and blackened plastic and the male end of the relay plug had some slight discoloration. Has this happened to anyone here? I figure I could go to a junkyard, cut a plug off another car and patch in a new connection for the relay. Plus probably have to buy another relay :roll: do you guys have any diagnosis'? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: ofcourse there is a short somewhere in my blower motor system, i forgot to throw that in there, i figured everyone could have come to that conclusion lol. I guess im just curious if there is a way to avoid pulling the entire harness to find the short. i have to pull the harness later this year for a motor swap anyways but id like my heat back before then haha.
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Re: Blower motor relay weirdness

bump
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

Perhaps a continuity tester with a long lead, and a DVM?

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Smithcraft wrote:Perhaps a continuity tester with a long lead, and a DVM?

SC
I will start there and try to source the problem lead down. Thankyou for your input! im sure it was a no brainer but i am very inexperienced with car electrical systems. so any guide or sense of direction given to me helps so much! Im learning! haha
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you downloaded the electrical diagrams? That will help you trace down the problem.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Legacy777 wrote:Have you downloaded the electrical diagrams? That will help you trace down the problem.
i have not, im definitely slacking haha. Thanks josh ill go on over that way and snag the diagrams when i get home!
Smithcraft
Second Gear

Post by Smithcraft »

nortonjefferson wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:Perhaps a continuity tester with a long lead, and a DVM?

SC
I will start there and try to source the problem lead down. Thankyou for your input! im sure it was a no brainer but i am very inexperienced with car electrical systems. so any guide or sense of direction given to me helps so much! Im learning! haha
No worries! Sometimes, either we don't know about things, or our brain just jumps a gap and we forget about things.

SC
1994 Legacy Mi

2008 Legacy GT SpecB