Oxygen Sensor

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Jc25
In Neutral

Oxygen Sensor

Post by Jc25 »

I recently transplanted an ej22 out of subaru legacy into 85 vw vanagon. Last week i went to get it smog in CA for the first time. I failed at 15 mph due to High HC and CO. The CO's are through the roof considered gross polluter level. The engine is running extremely rich.

I tested the brand new 02 sensor( link below) and I get a constant 0.9v. There no oscillating from 0.1 - 0.9 like there should be. From my understanding this means the sensor is bad. However, is there any other test i can run before i go out a buy a new one?

Any recommendations on purchasing a new sensor or should i stick to oem?

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-24614-Identic ... H8KWWZ7MZF
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Oxygen Sensor

Post by Legacy777 »

So just to make sure I understand, you replaced the O2 sensor with a new one and the engine is running the same as what it was before and running rich?

If so, then the problem is not likely your O2 sensor. I would suspect something to do with the MAF sensor, fuel injection, or some sort of other issue. Were you able to get the codes from the ECU? You don't necessarily need the EVO scan to get the codes. The ECU has pins for the CEL, U-check, & D-check modes. You would just need to run a bulb or LED that has power running through it to the CEL pin at the ECU. For the U-check & D-check pins you would just need to run each of those pins to a toggle switch of some kind and then run the other end to ground. This will allow you to easily put the ECU in the different diagnostic modes.

Check out the stuff you need to know forum for links to download the service manuals from me.

If you have any questions let us know, and if you can also give us some more details on how the engine is setup that would be helpful as well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm