Heater Unit Controls/Blower motor

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

pooperscooper
In Neutral

Heater Unit Controls/Blower motor

Post by pooperscooper »

So I have been trying and trying to get the heater controls to work. But nothing WORKS.

I pulled the dash and switched heater cores in January 2016, got it all back together fine and dandy, suddnely one day the blower motor doesn't blow air...

I pulled the blower motor and hooked it up to a battery, worked fine. Switched out the control unit itself for another one that 100% works in another car, but not mine.

I am all out of ideas and I would love it if someone can help me. Having the car blow air inside the cabin is kind of a necessity where I live.

It's a 1992 Legacy Sedan 2.0L
1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan (DD)
1996 Subaru Impreza (Redneck Rally Machine)
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Re: Heater Unit Controls/Blower motor

Post by nortonjefferson »

Check your blower motor relay. its about $50 from the dealer. It fixed my fan and takes like 3 minutes to switch out
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
pooperscooper
In Neutral

Post by pooperscooper »

The relay or the resistor? Because I switched the resistor and that did nothing.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

The relay, i believe the subaru part number is 82501GA240. Im at work at the moment and cannot verify this 100%. I have the reciept in my car though i think so i can verify for you here in a little bit. My relay actually shorted out three weeks in but that's because i have other problems haha. i think a relay would fix your blower motor problem though
Last edited by nortonjefferson on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
nortonjefferson
First Gear

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2241436 also this thread should help quite a bit
pooperscooper
In Neutral

Post by pooperscooper »

I have replaced the relay, and nothing changed yet again.

Should have maybe mentioned this before but the car is full EUDM, since I live in Iceland. Might change things, might not.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My best suggestion would be to try and follow the wiring diagrams and trace back from the motor to the different wiring and components to see where the problem may be.

These diagrams are for the Liberty in Australia, so between these and the north American wiring diagrams I'm not sure what would match your car. Have you had any success in continuing to troubleshoot the problem?

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... SM_-_FULL/

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... agrams.zip
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
pooperscooper
In Neutral

Post by pooperscooper »

Thank you for the diagrams :)

I found another forum post about the brake lights and horn being the same fuse and if neither worked all you needed was to replace the fuse. I did that and... NOTHING! I even tried putting a higher rated fuse instead but still nothing.

Man this car is starting to piss me off. As for the blower motor and heater controls I have found nothing to further the solution to this problem.

Thank you so much for the help though, this forum is literally saving me from selling the car for scraps.
nortonjefferson
First Gear

pooperscooper wrote:Thank you for the diagrams :)

I found another forum post about the brake lights and horn being the same fuse and if neither worked all you needed was to replace the fuse. I did that and... NOTHING! I even tried putting a higher rated fuse instead but still nothing.

Man this car is starting to piss me off. As for the blower motor and heater controls I have found nothing to further the solution to this problem.

Thank you so much for the help though, this forum is literally saving me from selling the car for scraps.
Man I'm sorry to hear you're still battling this blower motor!! I have one last idea, could it be that a solder on your actual hvac controls has found its way loose?? This might account for everything functioning (i.e. Blower motor when hooked up to a battery and a new relay) yet the motor still ceases to turn when hooked up. Also very cool to have a member from Iceland on here! My moms side of the family is from Iceland and I hear about how beautiful it is whenever they go there, but I still have yet to travel over there myself
pooperscooper
In Neutral

Post by pooperscooper »

I'll have to pull the controls soon and check the solders. Thanks for that!

If you ever do come to Iceland the Subaru culture is crazy over here. Come to Neskaupstaður (East Iceland) and I'll show you around the place :)
pooperscooper
In Neutral

Post by pooperscooper »

Also, I bought two different repair manuals for the first gens. They'll be here after the weekend and hopefully that will give me some info.