O2 code 32

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Phantomgoon
In Neutral

O2 code 32

Post by Phantomgoon »

I have recently installed a Bosch 4 wire oxygen sensor into my new o2 bung. The car runs fine but my O2 code 32 keeps popping up. I have a 1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo. Before installing this oxygen sensor my MPG was pretty low but now it's reasonable yet I'm still getting the code even though the oxygen sensor seems to be working. I've cleared the ecu code storage as well but it still comes back. I have replaced the spark plugs with ngk's as well. We put the new o2bung right behind a turbo pretty much where the stock one would be.
Austin

1994 Subaru Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: O2 code 32

Post by Legacy777 »

Hi Austin and welcome to the BBS.

Have you checked the resistance of the wiring coming from the O2 sensor to the ECU? If not, I'd suggest doing that. The other thing to note is that stock O2 sensor was only a 3-wire O2 sensor. The sensor grounded itself through the body of the sensor. The 4-wire has a separate ground wire that is used to ground the sensor. If that is going to an empty terminal then that's likely why you're still having issues. The best solution if you can do it would be to find a spare pin to put in the empty spot on the chassis side connector and then tie that wire to the O2 sensor heater ground circuit.

Ultimately that 4th wire likely just needs to be grounded, so however you do that...even if it's kind of crude would likely solve your issues.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Or....if you determine grounding the 4th wire does cause the light to go away then the easiest solution would be to see if you can return it and get a 3-wire sensor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Phantomgoon
In Neutral

Post by Phantomgoon »

We wired a 3 wire and it made the car run horrible. We could have possibly had it wired wrong but from what we were reading it was wired right. I have it grounded with a bolt by the dog bone. But I could probably go pick up another three wire and see how that works, thanks for your help!
Austin

1994 Subaru Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, if you've got everything wired properly I'd double check the resistance of the wiring from the O2 sensor chassis plug back to the ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT