22690AA130 Oxygen sensor EJ20G Legacy Liberty

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RoughDiamond
First Gear

22690AA130 Oxygen sensor EJ20G Legacy Liberty

Post by RoughDiamond »

In the middle of an early EJ20G swap (BC to BC), and wanted to replace the O2 sensor.

OE number is 22690AA130, but of course is JDM only.

Luckily, I had the connector head so using a 3-wire universal was an option.

I used a 3-wire universal for a 96 Legacy 2.5 (upstream, as the downstream is 4-wire, but has a longer wire).

I wanted to keep the factory routing along the pass side timing belt cover (as I'm using the factory EJ20G pigtail location), but the 3 wires are a few inches too short. So I pulled the wires apart and found JECS just wired extensions from the Bosch sensor to the connector to get the ~19" of wire length. The sensor itself is most likely the same as the USDM sensor.

For future reference, the O.E. sensor is JECS, licensed from Bosch. A24-641 208 26182

The Bosch universal is about 0.5 in. taller than the OE, but looks the same.

FYI

Ref pics:

1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 22690AA130 Oxygen sensor EJ20G Legacy Liberty

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the info!

Just a quick note/question; did you solder or crimp the connections? You always want to crimp the connections because solder can change the resistance value. Additionally, O2 sensors "breathe" through the wiring so if you extend the wiring you want to do so as close to the original plug so the original wiring stays as long as possible.

This page has some more info:

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/unde ... ensors.asp

"The outside of the bulb is exposed to the hot gases in the exhaust while the inside of the bulb is vented internally through the sensor body to the outside atmosphere. Older style oxygen sensors actually have a small hole in the body shell so air can enter the sensor, but newer style O2 sensors "breathe" through their wire connectors and have no vent hole. It's hard to believe, but the tiny amount of space between the insulation and wire provides enough room for air to seep into the sensor (for this reason, grease should never be used on O2 sensor connectors because it can block the flow of air). Venting the sensor through the wires rather than with a hole in the body reduces the risk of dirt or water contamination that could foul the sensor from the inside and cause it to fail. The difference in oxygen levels between the exhaust and outside air within the sensor causes voltage to flow through the ceramic bulb. The greater the difference, the higher the voltage reading."
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Re: 22690AA130 Oxygen sensor EJ20G Legacy Liberty

Post by RoughDiamond »

I used a Ag/Sn solder and have verified on a test harness that the difference in ohm reading is <1.1M (the limit of my meter) and is negligible.

I DID use all of the new sensor's harness and added on to the end to make up the difference (~4 inches).
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.