Stereo project, something new!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Stereo project, something new!

Post by canadianbc5ra »

Ok...so I'll start with what I had as requirements.
1) Screenless-I wanted something that had no screen because I could just use my phone as the display (or any bluetooth enabled device really)

2) Bluetooth enabled-obviously for music and conversations

3) Built in class D amp-Something of quality, also prefered 4 chanel x100W max output per chanel

4) Compact size-obviously I wanna put it somewhere I wont need to worry about it

5) Cost effective-sometimes I can be cheap lol

What I came up with were a couple options. First was the more expensive one the Parrot MKi9000. It fit the bill but had a secondary controller I didn't care for. Lots of wiring, a control unit, short set up...it was a decent choice but it is also nearly $400. No thanks.

Second optionwas found on Amazon. The tinysine.com TSA8498 will fit inside a standard double DIMM case, has built in Bluetooth 4.0, is a class D 4 channel x100W max amp.

https://www.amazon.com/TSA8498-Class-Bl ... ds=TSA8498

Using this board with a standard set of stereo connectors for a 1994 Legacy Turbo I will be installing this tomorrow after work to test it out. The beautiful part of all this is that now I have all the centre stack area to install gauges and other devices without impeding other areas of the interior.

I have also used permanent magnets and a wireless Qi charge kit (added to my iphone6) to the car...hello futureproof Leggy Turbo.

Cost-TSA8498 from the manufacturere site was $65 CAD
-Wiring kit from amazon.ca was $8
-Wireless Qi Charge kit $40

---------------------------------------
Total- $108
Futreproofing an iconic car...PRICELESS

lemme know what you guys think.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Stereo project, something new!

Post by PhyrraM »

I'm using essentially the same thing in my SVX. Two things to look out for:
1. Lack of a volume control is a problem sometimes. Using the phones volume can be problematic - both ergonomically and functionally - especially when you turn it up when using the phone on other devices and reconnect to the car...can you say blown speakers if your not careful.
2. Not all units automatically reconnect upon power up or when the phone comes into range.

Other than that..it works very well.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

Good info! Thanks for the heads up. The board also has a built in line in...theres a micro switch to change between the two inputs so if it all goes wrong with the bluetooth option I can change over to the line in...but then it defeats the purpose.

I'm also not too worried about automatically reconecting. I dont rush anywhere as I'm normally early anywhere I go. So if I need to manually reconnect...thats ok.

I really appreciate the heads up though, its exactly the reason I wanted to post it up. I knew the Parrot has eliminated both of those issues...but I really didnt want to spend $400.

Cheers
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

In reading the reviews on Amazon the things I took away from it were that the 100 watts RMS is at 10 % total harmonic distortion which is a bit high IMO. But hopefully it doesn't become an issue for daily listening.

The other thing to note is the voltage range for this amplifier, it lists 14v to 39v. If you have a working alternator, you should see 14v, but that's at the very bottom of the input voltage range so you will not likely see the 100 watts RMS output, plus the distortion levels could be higher. In one of the reviews they talk about using a step up DC converter (12v to 24v 10 amp). You may want to look into something like this to put your input voltage more in the middle of the amplifier's operating range. This will improve sound quality and give you more power.

A quick search on Amazon turned up this. There are four different options, but I'm not sure the difference of each.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-090089-Conv ... B01E283VYM
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

Josh,
Thats great info to watch out for. I think to start out with I'll try it out as just the standard board. If it sounds horrible or unbearable for daily listening I'll purchase the DC to DC converter. I'm pretty familiar with DC to DC converters in different applications (used to work for Tesla and currently work on lots of hybrids and Kia Soul EV's...all of which have DC to DC converters in a step down function). I'll probably purchase a step-up converter for safe measure given its price point.

Keep the points coming! I'm going to be 3D printing a case with holes in the front face for gauges. Whenever I make it I'll post pictures for everyone to comment. It will take up the entire centre stack (I'll get rid of the pocket), then add in my gauges and eliminate the ashtray. I'll have an angled 3D printed tray at the bottom where the Qi charger and magnetic base will be for my phone.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, definitely keep us posted on how it sounds and the progress of fabricating up everything.

Do you have access to a 3D printer at work or where are you using the 3D printer? How are the finishes of the material being printed? The stuff I've seen has a rough texture, but I'm not sure if that's just the pieces I saw.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

For anything on the backside (inside the cavity), Ill use regular PLA extrusion 3D printing. for the front cover to maintain a smooth surface I have two options. Two of my friends have 3D printers, one friend has an Ultimaker classic with extended z-axis and the other friend has a very nice liquid 3D printer (stuff dreams are made of!!), then I also have access to custom carbon fibre. (I was working for multimatic building the 2017 Ford GT back in the summer and have some friends working in the carbon department, they also build the Aston One77 and the Aston Vulcan...so I think a sheet of carbon is easy enough for them lol!)

1) Liquid 3D print a sheet that will fit together tongue and groove to the rest of the board mounts.
2) Fab up some carbon fibre bits (which I'm less likely to do as carbon fibre conducts electricity rather well)

After day 1 I can say that the loudness and clarity are surprisingly rather decent. The factory stereo is on 80W max so at 100W RMS it sounds beautiful even at the low end of the voltage range for the amp. It could use some cleaning up on the low end, but highs and mids are crystal clear. I'm going to add in the DCDC converter to bring it to a safer voltage range, but checking the voltages witht he car running it never fell below 14.13V. (At least I know my alt is holding out).

For the moment I cannibalized the original deck and installed the amp board inside the original case. It's at lears a couple pounds lighter now...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cool, thanks for the info on the 3D printers. I would love to have access to something like that. I know they have a makerspace type place here in Houston, but I don't know what kind of 3D printer they have.

Did you take any pictures of the amp and install?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

Most makerspaces have normal heated or non heated print beds but all of them are an extrusion head. Liquid 3D printers are just too expensive at the moment. My buddy just bought one for his business idea. It's cool because no matter the orientation of the print the strength is the same and the resolution is something insane like 2 microns rather than 20. much smoother. It's also way faster than extrusion printing and doesnt clog or require replacement heads. It works on light.

Theres a ted talk about it.

https://www.ted.com/talks/joe_desimone_ ... 25x_faster
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is the design software something that you can get on the internet, make up a design, and then send it to someone who has a printer to print it out? If so, do you think your buddy would consider printing stuff out for people for a fee?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

canadianbc5ra
In Neutral

Post by canadianbc5ra »

The shipping would be the most expensive part...I am in Ontario, Canada. Right now hes got crazy amounts of things hes printing. I've got a 3 month wait for my one little part :/

There are plenty of pieces of software you can download for free to design in. AutoDesk 123D, TinkerCAD, blender,FreeCAD,OpenSCAD and Sketchup are some free and paid programs you can use to design and slice your print (print files are put through programs called slicers so the printer understands the layers it needs to print).
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok thanks for the info on the programs. If I ever get some free time and the desire to really pursue this I'll definitely check those out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Imprezafan93
First Gear

Post by Imprezafan93 »

Ive done things similiar to this in a few vehicles at a mobile electronics shop where i worked for awhile, also have mounted full on radios flush in the back of classic mustsng gloveboxes who were looking for stealth, i have just a couple suggestions to add form and function- install flush mount aux to an empty switch knockout (super easy, just drill a hole and shove it in, finish looks really clean) and i would also desolder the switch that changes BT to line in and remote mount a different switch somewhere accessible, either another dash knockout or under the knee panel so at least switching would be easy, whether for a guest's phone, or bt failure, ipod/mp3, or if for whatever reaspn you sell the car it would makr plug and playability easier for someone else. Then id bury the board in the dash and call it a day. Youre making me want to do it now but i have a decent double din ill probaby finagle in there when i feel motivated
10wrxing
First Gear

Post by 10wrxing »

Go figure, I just put a new deck in my Legacy, and bought the same unit for my WRX... Then see this thread.

Very interested in following this!
Also good to see another Ontario member.