Electrical glitch w/ video and pics - 1994, EJ22, Non-Turbo

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Yamagata
In Neutral

Electrical glitch w/ video and pics - 1994, EJ22, Non-Turbo

Post by Yamagata »

Hello, I have a tricky electrical issue.

The first video is looking at my gauge cluster. The ignition key is turned to the RUN position, and then this weird collection of solenoids, relays, fans, starter motor, injector clicks and check engine light will just go wild.

https://youtu.be/EmD6QFJwcQA

This problem started a week ago. my motor reached operating temp and the check engine light came on and the motor began to run very rough. Once I limped home, I could not get the engine to fire back up.

I checked most of the obvious stuff. Fuses are all good, main grounds to battery, body and motor are good. Correct power is getting to the injectors. This issue happens with or without the alternator plugged in.

I replaced the ECU with a used unit. The problem remained.

Here is another video of the fuel pressure spiking with the clicks. Normally when the motor run, I get about 30 psi. When I rev it up the fuel pressure climbs to 32 psi then drops back to 30 psi.

https://youtu.be/XEmITMiNTrk

I can get the motor to fire up. It will crank and crank. But if I put the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it, it will eventually fire up. The exhaust does not smell like raw unburned fuel. Sometimes the motor will run at regular idle and other times it will run at a very fast idle. Usually before the motor reaches it operating temp, the RPMs will rest at about 1000.

The moment the motor reaches operating temp it begins to run rough, like its dropped a cylinder. The motor will continue to limp, but will not recover. If the motor is revved up above idle, it seems to smooth out.

The only trouble codes I've been able to get are 24 & 33. But both of those items have checked out ok.

Here is another video of the odd glitch, from many different parts of the car.

https://youtu.be/Tuzmx_LPI_s

Today, I'm going to be checking all the grounds to the ECU. I just downloaded at 1992 Legacy Liberty tech manual that will help me identify where they are.

Thank you.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Electrical glitch w/ video and pics - 1994, EJ22, Non-Tu

Post by rallyak »

Sounds like you have the green and black ecm check wires connected. They are the ones down by the steering column they should be disconnect unless you are checking codes. That will cause the clicking of solenoids and fans to cycle off and on.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Yamagata
In Neutral

Post by Yamagata »

rallyak wrote:Sounds like you have the green and black ecm check wires connected. They are the ones down by the steering column they should be disconnect unless you are checking codes. That will cause the clicking of solenoids and fans to cycle off and on.
The two diagnostic connections are not hooked up. I have had them hooked up. The black cables dont send any code. The green cables send code 24, when the motor is running. One time I got a code 33.

However, I've been going through the sensors, testing ohms and so on. I just discovered that the Idle Air Control is not functioning properly.

I should get 9 ohms of resistance between pole 1 & 2, and also between pole 2 & 3. I am getting 0 ohms across the board.

So This coming week I'm going to head to the bone yard and test some units. If I find a good one, I'll nab it and give it a try.

I had assumed the air control valve was good, because I had removed it, and cleaned it. All seemed to be working fine, but I actually overlooked testing the resistance.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thank you for the reply.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you remove the electrical connector on the IAC valve and try starting the car, does it start? The idle will likely be really high, but it should run.

As for the relay clicking, that is a bit weird. Did you find anything on the ground or power supply wiring? The ECU grounds to the back side of the intake manifold. If a ground wire from the battery to chassis and/or engine is not great that may also be something to look for. Check the main chassis & starter grounds. I added a separate ground wire from the battery to the ECU ground spot to help maintain a common reference ground throughout the electronics.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Yamagata
In Neutral

Post by Yamagata »

Legacy777 wrote:If you remove the electrical connector on the IAC valve and try starting the car, does it start? The idle will likely be really high, but it should run.

As for the relay clicking, that is a bit weird. Did you find anything on the ground or power supply wiring? The ECU grounds to the back side of the intake manifold. If a ground wire from the battery to chassis and/or engine is not great that may also be something to look for. Check the main chassis & starter grounds. I added a separate ground wire from the battery to the ECU ground spot to help maintain a common reference ground throughout the electronics.
Where exactly does it ground to the backside of the intake? I see wires which seem to disapear and transit under & inbetween the intake, but I have not located any wires which bolt to the intake.

I imagine that this would be a wire, with a eye connector, bolted to the intake manifold, just as the ground to the battery grounds to the frame or motor block.

My ground from the battery to the engine and body are in great shape.

Power supplies all checked out.

When the IAC is disconnected, the motor will fire up, and seems to lope.

When the IAC is plugged in, it runs great, but once at operating temp, it begins to lope.

However today was not the same old thing. Today, the motor took a long time to fire. It cranks great, but would not catch. I have to hold my foot to the floor. Then it fires up. Today the motor reached operating temp and the check engine light DID NOT come on. The motor did not lope or stammer. I drove it up and down the street and it seems as if nothing is wrong. I dont trust it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

On the north american cars it's on the driver's side (right side when standing in front of the engine).

Here are two pictures where you can see the bolt at the very bottom corner of the intake manifold.

https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... P_5097.JPG
https://main.experiencetherave.com/suba ... P_2489.JPG

If you can't see it, let me know and I'll have draw an arrow to it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Yamagata
In Neutral

Post by Yamagata »

UPDATE:

Today I visited the bone yard. I got a used IAC. Back at the house I plugged it in and found that it DID NOT fix my problem of the chattering clicking and buzzing under the hood. Nothing has changed.

However, something changed...

Today I cranked the motor over and over and it finally came to life. It seemed to run just fine. I drove it up and down the street and it is very responsive. I let the motor reach operating temp. The check engine light did not come on. The motor continued to run great well.

I turned it off. Then I tried to fire it back up. Once again, it cranked and cranked and was very hard to start. But it did eventually start running.

I switched it off. Then turned the key to the RUN position. Sure enough the chatter and clicking remains.

So it seems that I've solved one of the problems. Question is, how many more problems remain? That is the problem with OBD1 systems. I'm not getting enough feed back to really know. I could continue to search for this needle. It is a very frustrating and long process.

I've actually tossed in the towel. I've put the wagon up for sale. Its time to get a runner, so that I can get to work. Unfortunate that reality has to interrupt us when were trying to learn. I'd like to actually understand what went haywire...but I dont have the time nor the money.

So end of this thread.

If you live in the Portland Oregon area, and you want a 94 wagon with a great body, brand snow tires, and a great running engine, and you have the time to sort out an electrical glitch...look up my ad on CraigsList.com

Thank you for your help fellow Legacy Central readers.

END OF LINE.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sorry to hear that the problem continues, but I certainly can understand where you're coming from.

Thanks for the follow up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT