cranks no start, lack of spark

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thatsme87
First Gear

cranks no start, lack of spark

Post by thatsme87 »

So I have a crank with no start, I checked and there is no spark, so I took a test light and unplugged the coil pack and checked for power when you turn the ignition switch on, I also checked when cranking the engine over with no power showing at all coming to the coil pack. So I unplugged the crank sensor and checked with the ignition switch on and had power to the crank sensor plug and I have power and signal power, with the sensor unplugged I checked for power at the coil pack again and had no power, I also did the same with the Camshaft position sensor and also no change. I range the wiring out from the coil pack to the ECM and it all rang out good. So I checked the fuse box under the hood next to the battery and the only two relays I see are the start relay and the ASD relay so I checked both relays and they appear to be good. On the ASD relay i have power on 87 and 86 this is battery volt. Now I don't have power on 30 which I think is correct, but I have 5-6 volts on 85? Should I our is this back feeding some how? When I turn the ignition switch on and check the relay I get better voltage at 85 with the relay plugged in and 5-6 volts with the relay taken out. Oh I also replaced the ignition switch just to make sure it was not bad. Any one have any thoughts on what I should be checking I'm at a complete loss here.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: cranks no start, lack of spark

Post by Legacy777 »

Can you provide information on what model and year your Legacy is.

Does the ECU have power and the CEL come on with the key in the ON position but engine not running/cranking?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

Hey so I found the problem, the wiring harness to the engine main power connection were it goes into the relay/fuse box next to the battery was so corrode that some of the cases were swelled to about twice or three times they're size and the wire was powdered inside the case I cut out about 2-3 inches and spliced in some knew sections and it fires up and runs great.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad to hear you got it figured out and fixed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm