H/O alternator help? Please

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

big12gage
In Neutral

H/O alternator help? Please

Post by big12gage »

Hey guys. I'm in need of a new alternator. The one I have now works fine but with the electrical draw I'm currently taking and plan to take in the future is killing this thing slowly and I know it. So I believe I can get away with a 140 maybe 160 with an extra battery and upgraded wires all the way around. I would like a 200 and would love a 250. So does anybody know of any good drop in replacements that work great? I don't want to do any splicing or stuff. I've already tried searching but I'm nowhere near 100% on things I've found so far. Any Input is welcome guys thanks.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
big12gage
In Neutral

Re: H/O alternator help? Please

Post by big12gage »

The lucky girl hopefully getting a new alternator. 91 Legacy LS Wagon. Love her

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I don't think there's a drop in. I've had two. They both required some relatively minor splicing.

I think the last one i went with was Singer.

Maniac Electric unfortunately doesn't make them any more, but theirs was really easy to do. Except, i don't think it was the output you wanted.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

Damn. It's kinda hard finding good info on decent alternators. I'm not scared of splicing I just didn't want to do it. Would you recommend a certain one? I'm sure I can get away with a 140 or 160

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

I called probably about seven or eight manufactures. It seems like a lot of companies don't even do it anymore.

The best luck I had this time around was Singer. Seems like a single guy operation.

It wasn't cheap though. The first time i got one it was like 200 bucks or something. But i think this time around it was like 400.

I can't remember the disadvantage or advantages, but have you thought of a capacitor?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

A capacitor would help out a little bit for split seconds but most of them would practically be useless and kinda slow down my electrical draw. I might just add another small battery to the car for the extra electronics I have for it. Do you know if a 140amp wrx alternator would fit? I would be just happy if they do

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Oh gees. Sorry i missed this. Honestly I don't know on that one. My guess is it doesn't because it seems like the issue is the plug has become more modern or something like that.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
big12gage
In Neutral

Post by big12gage »

Update. I found a company that makes a drop in 140 for the legacy. It's from qualitypowerauto.com and I haven't ordered it yet. Planning to buy an XS battery and a ton of wiring with it for all the extra grounding needed.

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

when you say drop in, does it use the same harness? I've had companies tell me that they're drop in, but it still required supplementing the wiring and increasing the gauge of the harness.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

to increase your selection of alternators you can install the wiring from 2000 up model cars. They have the green plug 3 wire setup. I don't recall if i changed the pins to make it plug n play but its an upgrade vs the original
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I know I'm late to the game on this, but you can run the later model alternators. I'm running a 2002 era WRX HO alternator on my Legacy. You need to modify the wiring, but it's relatively easy.

What are your electrical loads?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm