Couple questions you first gen gurus could help me with.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

hellawesome
In Neutral

Couple questions you first gen gurus could help me with.

Post by hellawesome »

First I am very familiar with the Subarus platform and their wiring and ecu. I have a V7 swap bugeye, 04 FXTI and I recently picked up a 92 legacy ss for a daily. This car being quite a bit older than what I'm used to and not much info out there. I'm turning to you guys for help. I bought it swapped from a 5eat to 5spd. There are a few things that need to be addressed. The needle for coolant temp has broken off, finding a used cluster in good condition has deemed to be close to impossible. So my first question is for tuning purposes let's say I change the ecu to an ej20g ecu from a jdm wrx. Since that ecu uses an electronic speedo, would I be able to incorporate the cluster from a gc8 into my car? Would that ecu fix my issues with the reverse lights and neutral switch? I'll have to talk to my tuner but from what I've been reading. Most of you use the robtune or powerfc. Is there any other tuning options? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Re: Couple questions you first gen gurus could help me with.

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi and welcome. You can get clusters and pretty much any other part through car-part.com

The jdm and usdm ECU gets a digital speed signal from the usdm cluster so you don't have to worry about that. Options for upgrade are robtune, Apexi PowerFC, ESL, Alcatek Ecu, Link Possum link, or pretty much any wire in standalones (link, autronic, etc). Just consult your tuner on what he's comfortable with.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You also might have some luck finding a cluster in the classifieds here.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Your best off trying to find a replacement gauge cluster. They can be pieced together. Check out my thread where I pieced together a UK electronic gauge cluster.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50076

Regarding the reverse lights and neutral switch, the ECU has nothing to do about them. Take a look at the electrical part of my swap write-up.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swa ... rical.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm