no start

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ride_child
Third Gear

no start

Post by ride_child »

im not sure where to put this, if its engine or electrical. i have a 93 touring wagon with a 5 speed swap, tdo5, and other supporting mods. it was driving great except for a lingering issue with the 02 sensor. the car sat for a few months. then i got a 550 robtune, 550 injectors, and a jecs maf and installed them. now for whatever reason the ecu isnt firing the injectors. i got known working cam and crank senors. mike came over and we pretty much ran the gamut of diagnosing it, with out much luck. if we unhooked the intercooler and had mike just spray starter fluid into the throttle body it will run when i start it as long as he is spraying starter fluid. theres fuel pressure, the injectors tested out to spec and were just cleaned an flow tested. it did the same thing with the 22t ecu and maf as it did with the robtune and ignition adapter and jecs maf.
is it possible that the timing is off enough for the ecu to be unhappy, as far as timing goes, but will still allow the engine to run with an external fuel source?
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Re: no start

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Check to make sure the injectors aren't seized...I know it sounds basic but I bought a package robtune/ecu/injectors/jecs maf also and the seller swore the yellow tops had just been cleaned and flow tested by Witchhunters but he "couldn't find the flow sheet". Ended up that three out of the four injectors were frozen once I got around to checking them prior to installing into the fuel rails. Even Witchhunters, who cleaned and flow tested a set of 440 grey tops for me personally, sends a note on how to store your newly cleaned/tested injectors if you do not plan to put them into service right away to help prevent them getting seized while in long-term storage.

Easy way to test is use an old cell phone wall wart 8 to 12 volt charger, cut and strip the wires towards the phone plug side, clamp some alligator clips on the wires (or just be real careful with the stripped wires if you don't have clips or terminals laying around), plug one clip on one of the male terminals directly on the injector and touch the other to the remaining terminal without touching the other clip. You should hear an audible click along with feel the injector pulse each time you touch and release the clip to the terminal. If it's frozen, it will be silent with no vibration but you may still see a small spark at the air gap at the terminal as you touch and release the clip. Even if you checked for resistance on the injectors, they can test in spec and still be seized.

Hope this helps...at least it's cheap and easy and you can cross one more thing off your diagnosis list if they check out fine.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

i had them cleaned and flow tested days before i installed them, i have the paperwork and everything :)
thanks for the feedback tho. im a firm believer in having as many different perspectives as possible!
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

you guys are gunna make me take the timing covers of huh? haha
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So have you verified that you have 12v at the injectors with the key in the ON position? What is your fuel pressure when cranking?

For shits and giggles have you tried hard wiring the fuel pump to 12v constant? From a troubleshooting standpoint that would help you eliminate possible causes.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

i believe we checked 12v at the injectors, but i can double check.i know the injectors were flow tested cleaned and everything was perfect at dr. injector. the injectors also showed the proper resistance when i checked all of them
i have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel return, it says i have 40 psi when cranking. thanks for the input josh!
keep the ideas coming!!
im already halfway to taking the timing covers off. im wondering if the tensioner failed and the timing is just way off.
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you have fuel pressure then yeah I'd look back at the ECU or what should be triggering the ECU to fire the injectors.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

and the ecu looks for cam angle sensor and the crank position sensor, correct?
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

im halfway done with pulling the timing covers off to check the timing. im hoping that the tensioner failed and the timing is off enough for the ecu not to send fuel pulses.
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD
nortonjefferson
First Gear

Post by nortonjefferson »

Any update? kind of in the same boat at the moment hahah
White 1993 L Wagon AWD 5MT-FXT lift, 27” MTs 380xxx miles
White 1991 L sedan AWD 5MT-(Robtune 550 DOHC Ej22t swap coming together) 187xxx miles
Black 2005 LGT 5MT-Ej20x swapped daily, VF40/elh
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

not so far, its finals week and there are a fuckton of banquets at the country club in december but hopefully soon.
on a side note, im going to a wedding at lord hill farms at the end of january, maybe i could give some insight hahaha
Kris

'91 Black SS - SOLD