Electrical Gremlins

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Miketage
In Neutral

Electrical Gremlins

Post by Miketage »

So a have a 93 postal model I've been tinkering with lately, the previous owner delivered mail in it of course and blew the original motor. Her husband knowing nothing about subarus swapped in another motor and also added some kind of cruise control unit. Currently the starter and radiator fans are straight wired to switches... also the fuel pump primes off and on constantly as well as many relays clicking under the dash, in the engine bay fuse box and I think the transmission too. I did get the car to crank up and run after sitting for a few years but the fuel pump dies (been through two so far). I've had the car for a while but I decided to really put forth an effort to give her a new life. I've searched high and low online for answers and its been hard with so many different symptoms. I've added a ground wire kit to make sure the grounds are good. I removed the cruise control that was added. It was tapped onto one of the ecu harness wires and the brake light sensor. When I have daylight again I'm going to try to track down which relays are clicking and start again. I just finished tonight still feeling discouraged and wanted to come on here to ask for any help.
2004 WRX Wagon
1993 Legacy RHD
Miketage
In Neutral

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Post by Miketage »

An update: someone at legacygt.com told me about the green test connector under the dash and it turns out it had been plugged in and after replacing the fuel pump and unplugging it seems to have fixed some of the issues.
2004 WRX Wagon
1993 Legacy RHD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Post by Legacy777 »

Yup, you want the green and black diagnostic connectors to be unplugged unless you want to check the codes. Instructions on my site.

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm