»  BC-BF Legacy Discussion »  Turbo
#VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s

Custom Search
Login | Register




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:40 pm 
In Neutral
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am
Posts: 21
I’ve seen many threads saying the VF-10 turbo only come on automatic legacy’s, yet I own a manual 92’ Legacy GT that runs a VF-10. I figured this out after swapping it out for a TD05-16g. No clue why everyone says it only comes in the automatics, but it isn’t true. Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 am 
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 4726
Location: Des Moines, Wa
USDM legacys got the VF11 on either transmission. You positive that turbo's been on your engine for the last 25 years? And if so, is that engine original to the car? I have a feeling that the auto turbo cars suffered less abuse over time. Certainly their cranks don't have nearly the amount of in/out play the manuals do, from the many that I've seen.

I thought all the Series 1 GT's were auto, and the RS were manuals? (Not talking about the 1-year only USDM Legacy GT, that was an n/a wagon with the raised roof, of course)

_________________
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am
Posts: 21
mike-tracy wrote:
USDM legacys got the VF11 on either transmission. You positive that turbo's been on your engine for the last 25 years? And if so, is that engine original to the car? I have a feeling that the auto turbo cars suffered less abuse over time. Certainly their cranks don't have nearly the amount of in/out play the manuals do, from the many that I've seen.

I thought all the Series 1 GT's were auto, and the RS were manuals? (Not talking about the 1-year only USDM Legacy GT, that was an n/a wagon with the raised roof, of course)


It’s JDM 92 Legacy GT manual, and it came stock with an ej20g, and if someone did swap the turbo, I have no clue why they’d put in a vf10.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:28 am 
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 4726
Location: Des Moines, Wa
I can't find that site that has all the scanned Japanese brochures. Anyway, the vf10 is slightly larger than the VF11, about the same as a TD04, so going from that to a td05 will be a ton of fun.

_________________
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:31 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am
Posts: 21
mike-tracy wrote:
I can't find that site that has all the scanned Japanese brochures. Anyway, the vf10 is slightly larger than the VF11, about the same as a TD04, so going from that to a td05 will be a ton of fun.


I’ve had it swapped over for a couple weeks now, lots of lag, but all around great turbo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:35 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am
Posts: 21
What I also find weird is that you compared the vf10 to a TD04, but the TD05 bolted right up, so maybe a vf10 is closer to a 14g TD05


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:07 am 
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 4726
Location: Des Moines, Wa
VF- 8/10/11/12 were all fitted to first gen legacys. Whereas the TD04 and TD05 turbos were fitted to the version 1 /2 ej20g based Impreza that also had the 90* inlet.

When they switched to under-intake-manifold-turbo inlet in version 3, they came out with the new style td04 that we are all familiar with. The TD05 was not offered from the factory going forward, as they went with IHI for their STI turbos.

_________________
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am
Posts: 21
mike-tracy wrote:
VF- 8/10/11/12 were all fitted to first gen legacys. Whereas the TD04 and TD05 turbos were fitted to the version 1 /2 ej20g based Impreza that also had the 90* inlet.

When they switched to under-intake-manifold-turbo inlet in version 3, they came out with the new style td04 that we are all familiar with. The TD05 was not offered from the factory going forward, as they went with IHI for their STI turbos.


I gotcha, do TD05 and 04 have the same bolt pattern for the downpipe and inlet?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:29 am 
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 am
Posts: 4726
Location: Des Moines, Wa
yea, the early 90* inlet td04 is a direct swap for your td05. AND it would definitely outspool both your old vf10 and td05.

SubaruNation wrote:
going up now...

Image
Image
Image
Image


BXSS wrote:
TD04 is on the left side of all the pics.

Thanks SubaruNation for posting the pics up for me!!

_________________
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: VF-10 IHI turbo only for automatic legacy’s
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 am 
In Neutral
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:16 am
Posts: 21
mike-tracy wrote:
yea, the early 90* inlet td04 is a direct swap for your td05. AND it would definitely outspool both your old vf10 and td05.

SubaruNation wrote:
going up now...

Image
Image
Image
Image


BXSS wrote:
TD04 is on the left side of all the pics.

Thanks SubaruNation for posting the pics up for me!!


I wish the TD05 I bought had that 90° like the VF10, would’ve made the swap much easier. Finding a silicon hose that turned quick enough in that tiny space was hard.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon


Profile  Offline
Reply with quote  

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Panel

Top You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Dizayn Ercan Koc