Best year for 1st gen turbo legacy?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

al.goosr
In Neutral

Best year for 1st gen turbo legacy?

Post by al.goosr »

Would appreciate some knowledge dropped on me here fellas. Thanks

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Best year for 1st gen turbo legacy?

Post by jefferson »

I'm kind of biased as I own a 91. They got features such as the oil cooler and I think a limited slip that the later years did not get. I may stand corrected as there are more knowledgeable people than me if they stop by for a visit. I like the looks a little better too.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

Yeah I got a 97 wagon and the 2.2na doesn't get the power I would like to have. I know the early turbo legacies didn't have much more but shit a 30-60 Hp difference in a vehicle as light as these cars would be enough to maybe get a decent bump in the fun factor in the rain,mud,and definitely thru snow. I dunno I had a 89 Toyota pickup 3vze with a turbo on it and that thing actually had some getup and gooo. I know I'd never see the kind of power out of my wagon unless I did a STI front clip swap but I ain't got that kinda money right now. I'm probably talking to myself but someone please give me some good ideas

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I agree the 91 got a few things the 92-94 turbo Legacies didn't get, but I don't know that they are deal breakers. The other thing to keep into account is the aesthetics. Some really like the styling of the 90-91 model years vs. the 92-94.....or vice versa.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
al.goosr
In Neutral

Post by al.goosr »

What's the biggest differences (aesthetics) in MY 90-91 and 92-94? I guess it wouldn't matter cause I'd honestly end up doing a body swap into my 97 legacy wagon L cause it's just cheaper in the long run when it comes to registration and big difference with insurance when it comes to N/A engines and Forced Induction engines. Plus I hear the ej22t was a great design for boosted applications.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The front bumper, headlights, and hood as well as the tail lights were the main difference. If you search for pre-face lift vs. post-face lift first gen Legacies you should see pictures and the differences.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

Pre-Facelift
Post-Facelift

There's your comparison.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

I have a October 1991 Leagcy Turbo, complete with Mk2 grill wings & headlamps but has the original Mk1 rear suspension.
The best version just finding one without damage or rust.
Keep driving & enjoy the Legacy whoosh.