VF-23

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

morgie
Third Gear

VF-23

Post by morgie »

on a ej22T, should do the job well ?? i have the possibility to put a hand on a used one, here in my area.

i don't remember well, but what was the estimated max HP on the stock ej22T internals (that are all forged) ?

I certainly want more power, but i certainly don't want to break everything ! :(
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

i have used this turbo for a year now.
i usually run 15 psi (limited by stock injectors)
I would run 20 psi if I had around 700cc -850cc injectors.
just have your ecu tuned well.
I dont know how much power this is but maybe 350-500 crank hp.
I have had no motor problems. oh if that was a question (couldn't tell)
the interenals are not forged. cast pistons,
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

the pistons/crank should be able to handle it, you will be limited by the head gaskets, upgrade your fuel pump and injectors and run 20psi maximum.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Rs: humk,yeah 20psi was my maximum, i'll maybe go more for 17-18psi..

Kelley: Cast pistons right, but forget crank and conrods ?
morgie
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Yes, high pressure cast pistons, a.ka. discount forging.

What kind of intercooler are you going to run? And will you have full 2.5"+ exhaust? These will determine how much boost you can run too.

And as kelley mentioned... did you decide to get a stand-alone ecu?
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Ok my plans :

Intercooler : WRX intercooler (Top Mount)

Exaust : Probably the same setup as on my legacy (Not to lound), 3" downpipe, 2.5" resonator + 2.5" muffler ... or 3" all the way. not sure yet. No Catalyser. Headers + uppipe will probably need to be replaced too

Injectors: A set of Yellow top (440cc) Side-Fed injectors.. or maybe more if i find some better and they are not to expensive. + 255l/hrs Fuel Pump

Turbo : Found it, VF23.

ECU : Stock Ej22 Ecu for a/c / stuff, and I think i'll go for a "not so expensive" SDS standalone ecu (A lot of guys run this Ecu on their swapped STI engines here, it's cheap, simple, and it does the job). www.sdsefi.com

that's about it for now.
morgie
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

My big concern now is for the tranny... i'll run it on the stock ej22 na tranny ... will it be able to handle the load ? not for a long time i think.. :|
morgie
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I would be extremely careful with the transmission. I'm guessing you're talking 5MT, my N/A died at 175k with the stock engine and I'm pretty easy on the things. From what I read about WRX transmissions (which I would guess are at least stronger than the N/A ones) people have had some trouble with putting big power through them. So no 6k clutch drops. :D

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

I have had no problems with my tranny. mine is for sale if you want to upgrade that.
my guess is that the 440's will be at 100% by atleast 15 psi. depending on the ammount of power you are makeing.
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Ok, so i'll be extremely carefull on the OBS tranny, and keep some money for an eventual tranny swap.. hehe

Kelley : I will probably use the complete intake from the ej22, for compatibility with the stock ECU, and to avoid the replacement of the TPS on my ej22T engine wich is off-spec (according the the troubleshooting guide in the shop manual (480$ replacement !!!! ) ).

I will then be equiped with Top-Fed injectors. I'll replace them with 550cc ones, they will probably not be too hard to find. That way i'll be ok with the IDC issue. if not, then a FPR will be installed.

A friend will have a complete SDS ecu to sell this winter (he is changing it for a GEMS ecu. So that will be my Ecu (the sds).
morgie
shizzl
In Neutral

y

Post by shizzl »

can FC3S rx7 injectors be fitted?theyr 550cc.....or if they can you may like to go for the S3 rx7 12A turbo injectors that run about 800cc....
doin it for possum bourne (R.I.P subaru king)
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

What kind of intake will you use on the turbo?
kelley: what do you use?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

ej22 na 1999 stock intake "spider" :)

the main goal is to stay compatible with the stock Ecu, and to avoid the need to replace the TPS on my Ej22T wich cost 480$CAN...
morgie
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Ah, i was wondering how the intake connection to the turbo itself woulkd be made. Proabably been discussed somewhere on here before..

The legacy's rhb5 has a 90 degree elbow, don't most of the aftermarket turbo just go straight in?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

I won't go with a rhb5-VF11 anyway, but a VF23, wich, as you said, has a straight intake. So Stock ej22T intake or ej22 intake, i'm still at the same point.. hehe

I'll see how i'll fit all that when i'll actually have the OBS. but i'm quite confident there is a solution ;)
morgie
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

morgie wrote:I'll see how i'll fit all that when i'll actually have the OBS. but i'm quite confident there is a solution ;)

Oh there's always a solution :D

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

hey mk. how is the ecu workin out.
I am using a small k&n air filter. the intake pipeing was made with the remainder of my blitz intercooling pipeing.
you can find a pic of it on www.i-club.com in the legacy forum. just search legacy.
nothin fancy.
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Finally, the guy selling the VF23 changed is mind and decided to keep it..

but i think i've found a nice little TD05-16G from an STI...

i think i'll go with that.

Still have some documentation to read... thanks to this forum ! hehe
morgie