Found Compromise for BOV Atmosphere and Recirc issues

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Grant
Second Gear

Found Compromise for BOV Atmosphere and Recirc issues

Post by Grant »

Okay, I've searched through the forums and here's the post I'm referring back to for any who don't know.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=989

So the issue is getting the "vent to atmosphere pssshhhhh" sound but not have the issue of running rich, like crap, etc when drving around town. I need a compromise for my rally car which also uses and MAF system and here's what I've devised to be able to run a TRUE atmosphere OR recirc valve.

Take any recirculation valve and locate the piping that recirculates the air back to the turbo. Cut this line in the middle somewhere where it won't touch extremely hot stuff and you have a little bit of room.
You now have two pieces of pipe, one from BOV, one from the preturbo inlet.
Working from the preturbo inlet side of pipe first install a switch valve that allows you to close or open the pipe. Attach another piece of pipe (a few inches) and connect back to the pipe going to the BOV with a T connection. Add an inch or two onto the T and put on another On/Off Valve then another inch or so of pipe and then one of those little small air filters, kinda look like a small cone filter.
You are done. Make sure to note and mark which way is on and which way is off on the two valves you installed.
Here is pics:

http://www.hugheshometheater.com/Photos ... bovsys.JPG

The little air filter is mostly a safety precaution.
Here's how it works. Normal city driving, close the valve at the filter (valve 1) and leave the valve (valve 2) going back into the turbo inlet open. You are now on a strictly recirculation BOV system. Close valve 2 and leave valve 1 closed and you could see how your car would run without a BOV but I wouldn't recommend trying this. Now leave valve 2 closed and open valve 1. The BOV should now vent to the atmosphere, and you will still run rich and have problems idling most likely but you can get that cool sound you wanted (useful down at the beach pickin up girls, wait I'm in Colorado so nevermind that). From a rally car stand point I can now test both ways and play with other things to maximize performance on stage, but still be able to drive around town, where with decals I always have to drive slow. The air filter is there so that if you leave both valves open and start sucking in air, it's at least filtered air. Anyhow, let me know what you guys think.

Another option I jsut thought of would be a way to find some way to push filtered air back into the system before the turbo while still venting to atmosphere as to keep the readings from MAF and actual readings close. This would be a much more difficult task though and I've been doing Probability Theory homework all day and my heads starting to hurt. Good night.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

AWESOME pic :wink: sounds like a good setup to get that open air BOV sound on the fly.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Why not have a valve that's infinitely variable so you can get as much sound or performance out of it that you want. That would make it similar to the hybrid BOV's they have now, but more advanced (hybrids atmosphere high pressure and circulate low).
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Found Compromise for BOV Atmosphere and Recirc issues

Post by JasonGrahn »

Grant wrote:I need a compromise for my rally car which also uses and MAF system and here's what I've devised to be able to run a TRUE atmosphere OR recirc valve.
A simple question: why do you NEED your BOV to vent to the atmosphere for the rally car?
-Jason Grahn
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

You like that pic eh. I'm a true artist.

I don't NEED a vent to atmosphere BOV for my rally car but I do need a BOV and with this method I can easily change between the two and determine which method maximizes power output. If it happens to be to atmo. I can leave it recirc most of the time and switch it as needed. Currently I have no BOV at all on the car so that's why I'm looking at this issue. I personally hope the recirc is the best because then I have a true sleeper. :D
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

shit man, you need a BOV, i've got a legacy one in my garage i'll get out to you for the cost of shipping!
-Jason Grahn
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hey, Jason, if Grant doesn't take you up on that offer, could I? :) My brother's turbo Supra project is still without a blowoff valve.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

sure. I don't know if the stock legacy BOV will hold up to a poopra tho! :)
-Jason Grahn
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, he's gonna be running around 6psi on the 3-liter 6MGE... It ought to work, I'd think, at least until he can afford an aftermarket blowoff valve.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212