more boosting ej22 discussion

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

greg donovan
Fourth Gear

more boosting ej22 discussion

Post by greg donovan »

how many people have actually done this?

at what boost level did things begin to go horribly wrong?

how many miles/minutes it take to blow things up real good?

what if water injection is used in conjunction w/TMIC?

i have been told by Paul Ecklund that a boosted ej22 would work out if boost kept under 10psi while using tmic and good boost controller. anyone care to comment on this?

i would keep boost under 8psi myself. i just want a little more go on the rallyx course. gotta keep up w/the turbo omnis, mustangs, and turbo neons! finished second in class for the season two times too many.

i guess i have an uncontrollable urge to go against the grain. so please dont try to change my mind.

greg
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Greg,

Rod G, subie_do had been running an ej22 with turbo with some crazy boost.......like 12+ or something crazy like that.

He was running alcohol injection though.

There's a couple things he found out.

I think he did some work on the heads so the alcohol didn't eat away at the valve guides or something to that affect.

The thing that killed the motor was too much timing. N/A motors have more timing then turbo motors, and because of this, you get more chances of detonation or things going wrong. He wanted to push the ej22 and see how much it could take, and IMO it took quite a bit to blow the motor. If he had controlled the timing, it would still probably be going strong.

I'll shoot Rod an email about this thread and let him give the details.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

thanks josh that is someone i would like to hear from! someone w/firsthand knowledge not speculation.

greg
subiecar
In Neutral

EJ22 and more power.....

Post by subiecar »

:shock: Another crazy lookin` for more power; you know what`ll happen, don`t you? You`ll become a boost junkie like me! Anyway, here`s what I did: Borla headers w/custom uppipe (2 1/4"), custom downpipe (2 1/2"-should be a divided bellmouth with a 3" size), hi-flow cat and 2 1/4" exhaust (should be 2 1/2),RRFPR, Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, RC Eng. blueprinted injectors, upgraded plug wires and coil, MSD Dis-2, alcohol injection (boost controlled starting at 4 psi) and MBC. DON`T do the following: MBC (use internal wastegate set at a max of 5 psi for your use as any higher and you`ll get alot of detonation) , leave the fuel flow at series rather than convert to parallel and don`t run w/o an intercooler if you can help it. Remember, everything will be custom and not cheap if done right. For my new engine, I thermo-coated my headers, up and down pipes and the pipe from the turbo to the TB. Oh, I used a Garrett GT28R (good for approx. 290 hp) that spools quickly and boosts NOW!!! Any more questions, shoot me a reply---Rod
Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill!
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

in my legacy i run 18psi or 20psi daily. it lasted me 3 years, 4 trannys, and 450.thousand ks. i am working on it right now, it needs a new piston and thats it. back on the open road i cant wait.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Nico, they are discussing the n/a 2.2, not the ej22t.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
970subaru
First Gear

Post by 970subaru »

I was also contemplating turboing my n/a ej22. would it be possible to swap the stock ej22t turbo setup onto a n/a, ie manifolds, turbo, ecu, plumb oil lines, etc? my engine is still strong (140k) and cant justify a complete engine swap(at this time).
a few Q's
-how will the turbo ecu deal with the higher CR?
-what is meant by n/a engines having more timing? more total advance or what?
-is it even worth it? ej22t's seem to go for around 800 or so.
-can water injection be substituted for an IC?
-what kind of power can be expected running the suggested 5psi? I too am not looking for huge power, but would definitely like more.
I love to case.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You could bolt it all on physically, but if you get all those parts, you'll likely get the engine with it and the work will probably be much less to just swap. Buying those parts seperate from a whole engine would probably not save you much, either. However, your N/A cams will be less than optimal match for the turbocharger and the turbo ECU. The ECU shouldn't care about the CR, but the knock sensor will probably be going off alot, retarding the timing. The N/A engines probably run more timing advance as there's less concern with detonation (I'm too lazy to look up the timing right now). Water injection is finite - what happens when it runs out of water or in the winter? WI would be nice with an intercooler, but personally I wouldn't do just the WI alone. My guess at power would be 180-200 tops and I'm not sure of that with the N/A cams. You'll also need the turbo water pump to clear the exhaust.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.