Boost not controlled?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Flip_x
Second Gear

Boost not controlled?

Post by Flip_x »

ok i took off my manual boost control because the bearing was alittle big and got stuck. so i put the stock boost control back. but it doesnt work. it passes 22psi and it fuel cuts.

why is it like that? and whats that hose for that comes down from it that goes in the intake track?

sometimes it controls it but only in the first two gears.. so i dont get it

well thanks
1990 Legacy Sedan LS AWD 5-MT 162k miles Slate Metallic (Sold to Brother)

1992 Legacy SS AWD 5-MT 180k miles Mica Black
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Enjoy it! Just kidding, connect the line coming from the compressor to the line going to the wastegate to keep boost down and prevent blowing up the motor, until you figue out wht's wrong.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
Flip_x
Second Gear

Post by Flip_x »

its nuts fast with it not working. but its not good for it hehe. i should so that for a while. what would that yeild for psi like 6.9 ?
1990 Legacy Sedan LS AWD 5-MT 162k miles Slate Metallic (Sold to Brother)

1992 Legacy SS AWD 5-MT 180k miles Mica Black
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

More like 5 or so, but better than blowing up something...
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, follow 91White-T's advice.

The first step in figuring out the problem is to check all the vacuum hoses. One of them might be loose or have a leak.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

my car does the same thing. so i also took out the mbc and used the stocker, and it still goes past 8.9. i think that is a lot of my intake popping or detonation. whenever it passes 12psi, it pops. i can feel the pop through the gas pedal, which means that the popping is a detonation in my intake which put a large force on my throttle body butterfly. i have a lot of reducers and enlargers in a vaccum line where my morgie fuel cut defender was, could this mess things up?
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Post by Innovative Tuning »

TurboLegacy wrote:my car does the same thing. so i also took out the mbc and used the stocker, and it still goes past 8.9. i think that is a lot of my intake popping or detonation. whenever it passes 12psi, it pops. i can feel the pop through the gas pedal, which means that the popping is a detonation in my intake which put a large force on my throttle body butterfly. i have a lot of reducers and enlargers in a vaccum line where my morgie fuel cut defender was, could this mess things up?
Yup the differening ID reducers/enlargers could definitely throw things off. Keep all the lines at or near stock ID. If there's too much flow for the boost solenoid to handle you can have erratic boost control. I can get you a bunch of 4mm silicone vacuum line for next time you stop by if you want to replace all your old lines with ones of the same size. Your lines may be cracked or starting to crack as well. Our cars aren't exactly spring chickens. :)

-Mike
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

TurboLegacy wrote: that the popping is a detonation in my intake which put a large force on my throttle body butterfly.
That popping is detonation inside your combustion chamber which puts a large force downwards on the piston which is still traveling up- VERY bad
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold