Attn Legacy Turbo Owners

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

inzomniac
First Gear

Attn Legacy Turbo Owners

Post by inzomniac »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm new :D

After months of frustration and wondering why my car just dosn't sound like a Subaru, spikes boost, only pulls around 7 psi on a good day, beginning to drive like a cavalier ( makes noise but dosn't go anywhere), and burning WAAAAY too much gas.

I finaly got some spare dough together and decided to try replacing the downpipe hoping it would be the magic solution to all my woes. And it is. :twisted: The cat in there was so plugged that when we took it off and blew into the pipe, the air came back out at me!!!! (could be a reason for my INSANELY slow times at rallysprint) Anyway, my car now pulls around 10 psi in 1st and 2nd... and keeps on pulling right to redline in every gear. For anyone who owns an older Legacy turbo, do this mod!! My car is now pulling like it's supposed to be... and I"ve been losing traction going straight line on wet tarmac! (yes it's a big thing to me) And the snow is more then fun right now... oh and the sound

With the way this car drives now with 234,000k on the odo... it's a true tesiment to Subaru's engine bulding skills.

Sorry if this is old news folks, but this is my first car and I'm thrilled to be burning less gas and putting out more power.
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

did you replace it with a factory oem style downpipe, or did you get an aftermarket downpipe?

i am going to get my turboback in about 2 weeks. i can't decide what i want.
scoobysport or stromung/magnaflow? or anything else? :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
inzomniac
First Gear

Post by inzomniac »

This was a Factory Diameter, but with no cat in it... Custom made. It works very very well. As I'm not running high boost right now which means the car dosn't really need to have 3" exhaust. 2 1/4 is more then enough.

I should mention that the car is also missing the cat in the midpipe as well. I took a hammer and chissel to it in the summer hoping that it was that cat that was plugged.
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I replaced mine with a custom setup, and no cats, and it does pull a lot harder even though my cats weren't clogged.

It also passes emissions!

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

No cats, passes emmisions. You don't hear that very often. Hey Gary know if that'll work here in Ontario?

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!