wastegate chatter

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

know1
Second Gear

wastegate chatter

Post by know1 »

I have for the longest time been searching for the creator of that chattering/fluttering sound made by some turbo cars when they come hard off the throttle (like wrc cars). I have since found that this is called wastegate chatter. Now doing a bit of research (remember I am a noob here) it seams to me that the vf11 (stock turbo for 94SS) has an internal wastegate. My question (if my previous assumptions are all correct) is, is it possible to get wastegate chatter from the stock ej22t setup? Or would I need to go to a divorced wastegate to bring the sound out?
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
SubbyRS
In Neutral

Post by SubbyRS »

The fluttering you speak of isn't wastegate chatter, it's air being forced back through the compressor wheel whwnever the throttle is lifted. If you want good "flutter", fit a front mount IC & remove the BOV (plug up the holes as well!!).
Wastegate chatter is different again, normally heard as a series of rapid and soft "flit,flit,flit,flit" type of noise as you start spooling up.
1991 Legacy RS. VOSchip. 154.6kW ATW @ 1bar boost
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

ahhhh...cool., wikipedia lied to me :(

so basically getting the flutter is an expensive process?
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

i think all cars that have internal wastgates have flutter be cause the vacume in the intake is always changeing from valves oponing and closing.

i dunno. i get that same sound that your discribing and my car has the stock VF11 at only 6psi.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I have this on my new setup. VF39 and front mount. Sounds preety cool.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

92ss satinsvoice wrote:i think all cars that have internal wastgates have flutter be cause the vacume in the intake is always changeing from valves oponing and closing.

i dunno. i get that same sound that your discribing and my car has the stock VF11 at only 6psi.
do you have to come off the throttle pretty hard? I still have yet to really drive my car to hard. I am waiting to get my 148k tune up
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

hey satinsvoice do you have a aftermarket downpipe?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

I am mostly just wanting to hear all the cool sounds my turbo makes. I am getting an electric cutout installed (but keeping one of my cats in the dp) and doing the coffee mug mod. Hopefully that will bring out my turbo sound a bit more :)
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

no i dont have a down pipe. wish i did.

na, if im half throttle or a little less i can here my turbo. if im at 10 degrees vacume i can here it.

if you really want ot here your turbo, do the coffie mug mod and a custom cone filter then you'll hear it really well. ive done this to my car and it sounds great. you can hear it from out side, like when im hallin ass, with the windows down it sounds tight.

but for the waste gate sound you have to be making boost for it to activate.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
91 ss champagne - Rip
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

I get this when I'm off the throttle but not enough to vent the air out the BOV so it hurt my turbo and my turbo makes WRC sound.
MY99 GF4 5spd DIY Modified
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

ive heard other vf turbo's makeing a wisle sound when they let off the throttle. it sounds like "to to to to to" and it slowly dies off. but its genally the larger vf's. like 22 30 34 ect. i dunno if the td type's do it.

it sounds really sick.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
91 ss champagne - Rip