FCD?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

DangerWagon
In Neutral

FCD?

Post by DangerWagon »

I know that there are quite a few threads about FCD's but they are for the most part very technical and I just had a quick question or 2 about them. How much of a difference do they make, home-made or otherwise. Is it noticable by butt Dyno? Are they supposed to be used after upgrading the turbo system to make the ECU allow more boost or as stand alone upgrade? I am not thinking of putting one in yet or anything, not until I know what they do. Just curious i guess.
Just because my car looks a little beat up doesn't mean its fast.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

an FCD does nothing for performance, it just allows you to increase the boost. I'd advise against it on a stock fuel system/turbo. The VF11 stops being efficient after around 12psi
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
DangerWagon
In Neutral

Post by DangerWagon »

Thanks
Just because my car looks a little beat up doesn't mean its fast.
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

I purchased a TurboXS FCD so I can set the fuel cut higher and still have some safety.

But then I'm running a TD04 (which isn't much better...but is if you do compare them together) w/ TMIC and WRX fuel pump on my Impreza L wagon. I also have headers on the car w/ completle 3" turbo back. The Fuel Cut seems to be like right at 12.5-12.75psi. I hit it a few times while I was setting my boost higher...it sucked....ahahh On a cold night my boost did creep up to 14psi and it cut on me while frumrol w/ S2000.

Pulls just fine though, very quick w/ complete exhaust system. I haven't put in the FCD yet, I have to find the diagram so I can just hook it up to the ECU and set it higher.
MY99 GF4 5spd DIY Modified
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

I have my FCD in. I set the cut at 16psi. My boost is set at 14psi....at night it does creep to 17psi at times...but holds about 15psi. daytime it is running 14psi in 4th gear.

nice to have a safety margen. Whenever the boost hits 16psi, the MAP solenoid clicks when you are anywhere above 1000rpm. After turning off the car and starting it back up, the solenoid resets I think and no more clicking..... It did this when I had it boosting when I didn't put in the FCD too...but now with the fuel cut set higher, it'll only start clicking when I hit 16psi
Steeper
First Gear

Post by Steeper »

I heard from a guy at wcss9 that there was someone on the board here selling a decent home made FCD
93 impreza wagon
95 v2 STI RA drivetrain
FMIC
002.5 RS bumper and 95 wrx hood
SS 3in TB
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

http://fcd.chrispaiano.com

Made by free5ty1e here on the boards
SUBARUEHS Racing
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I've heard this design can catch fire...true, rumor?

Also, the turbo XS has programablity i.e. you get what you pay for...

But yeah, need to be running all that other stuff - or MBC at very least to need one.

Good luck!!
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
rad rex
First Gear

Post by rad rex »

Chris' FCD is awesome....I installed mine in under 1/2 hour and with my TD04 I am not hitting fuel cut all the time and running a safe and "sane" 12-14 PSI

I would HIGHLY recommend this mod, but only after you do a turbo swap, as it has been said, the stock VF11 maxes out eary.

Just make sure that your aftermarket boost control isn't a cheepy Turbonetics MBC. Mine only cost me $20 used but delivers boost control about that well.
-Rad

Christine has a new owner, apparently he hasn't abused her enough yet

Understeer is when you see the tree you hit in front of the car, oversteer is when you feel it in the back - Walther Röhrl
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

The TUrboXS one is really simpole to setup. Follow the steps and you're all good. I wired it to the ECU's MAP, power and ground.

I have the EJ22T swap into my Impreza. Running WRX fuel pump and TD04L w/ TMIC. boosting 15psi on a Mustang Dyno net me numbers 178whp, 244ft lbs of torque. On nights doing pulls, when I hit 4th gear the boost does jump a little past 16psi as well as 5th gear. This is because of the manual boost controller. This is plenty of power for the Impreza, able to hang w/ stock EVO9.