TurboXS Fuel Cut Defender?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

livestrong14
Fourth Gear

TurboXS Fuel Cut Defender?

Post by livestrong14 »

Anybody know anything about them? I am running a home-made FCD right now, but this may be better. Does anybody know how they are installed? Do you know if it will work on my 91' SS? Is anybody using this setup and would like to give their opinion?

Thanks
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

I've got one I used in my '91. Worked great! I tapped into the wrong wire at the ecu at first so I had some troubles at the beginning, but was in no way the FCD's fault.

If memory serves, you cut the MAP sensor wire and attach the FCD to both sides of that cut. One wire goes to Ign, and one to ground. That seems right. :-D
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Thanks a lot Binford! I appreciate the info man!
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I've read nothing but good things about them on NASIOC, so I picked up a used one for $65. It's still chillin' on a shelf waiting for install into my car along with the TurboXS Dtec fuel controller.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I bought an HKS one...but honestly, the bleeder type worked better...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

How can a fuel cut defender really be "better" in function over VRG3 or my design?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

probably because of the name that's engraved on it. :? otherwise there is no reason i can think of.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I have a TurboXS ready to install. I hear they are fire resistant too! <grin>
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

...and endorsed by NASA, but they recently lost endodorsement from NASCAR. :lol:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ciper wrote:How can a fuel cut defender really be "better" in function over VRG3 or my design?
To my knowledge/understanding, which may be wrong, the VRG3 FCD clamps the MAP voltage, so fuel cut never occurs. Some of the FCD's you can buy allow you to retain the fuel function, but at a higher boost level.

In my mind, this is a superior design. Again, that's my understanding of how vrg3's FCD works. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, that's right. The TurboXS FCD does allow you to raise fuel cut to a higher level if the sensor supports it.

I think I posted a schematic a while back that would do the same thing.

I don't think our sensor reads much higher than our fuel cut level anyhow, though... can you speak to this, Binford?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Ohh, so it can move the fuel cut to a higher level.

Ok I guess thats sorta better but I don't agree with it, I would rather not have fuel cut and run lean. Spark cut would make more sense right?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Adam West wrote:I have a TurboXS ready to install. I hear they are fire resistant too! <grin>

I think fuel cut is the least of your worries in that case! :shock:
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I am using the TurboXS defender. It's main appeal is that it is adjustable and also keeps a cut if you so desire. I have my cut set at ~17 psi right now.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

ciper - Technically I suppose you could say an engine undergoing fuel cut is "running lean," but it's not going to cause the typical problems associated with running lean. With no fuel in the combustion chamber, no combustion will occur, just like if there were no spark. Spark cut has the disadvantage that it sends raw fuel out the exhaust, which is hard on oxygen sensors, catalytic converters, our bodies, and the planet.

biggreen96 - Does the sensor actually read reliably up to 17 psi? The last time I played with this stuff, I couldn't get readings above about 15 psi.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I think so... What I did to tune in the fuel cut was hold 1.1 bar in 5th while a buddy turned "in" the fuel cut knob. Once he hit it I had him turn it out one or two ticks at what I figure is ~17psi.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

So you've never actually seen the 17 psi fuel cut work?
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I have not hit it yet. However, there is a "cut" light that illuminates when it sees that voltage. But you have to sustain it, just like the factory FC.

When I see boost spikes I also see the light.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Huh. Neat.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

VRG3: Hmm yeah you are right. I guess the ability to move the fuel cut upwards is somewhat cool and would allow your girlfriend to drive the car without worrying that she didnt watch the boost gauge.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Thats what I do with my EBC when I'm not driving my car.

Dads driving the Legacy - cool have fun - 8psi.
I'm driving the Legacy - 16psi...
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

I have teh TXS FCD in my 22T swap. It allowed me to RAISE the fuel cut and allow fuel cut to happen if boost was to creep higher than where set. Really NICE piece of hardware and really wasy to install and set with another handy person to turn the adjusters while you brake boost. lolz
MY99 GF4 5spd DIY Modified
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

I have had the TurboXS FCD. Works well enough. Then again, defending fuel cut is not exactly hard or complicated.

As VRG said, the raising the fuel cut feature seemed useless to me because the sensor doesn't actually go much higher than the stock level anyway.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com