That darn "tic tic tic!"

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bdub
Second Gear

That darn "tic tic tic!"

Post by Bdub »

Okay, I've read numerous threads on this sound that "something" makes under approx. 2-4psi consistently.

Before, I thought it was heatshields, or possibly the chimney, because I had to do a little customizing to it due to the aftermarket DP. But, I have since ruled those issues out.

It is now very pronounced now that it has been colder outside, and there is no way it's a heatshield.
I haven't 100% ruled out a BPV problem, but I can hear the valve recirc. so I know that is not causing this sound.

I'm going to get an MBC, but I want to figure out what my problem may be before doing so. My first test is going to be the boost control solenoid.

Now, my question is, without using an MBC, and this is temporary, just to see if the ticking will reside, if I run wastegate pressure, would overriding the BCS by connecting the wastegate hose to the compressor outlet hose be a proper way to go about this?
I'm not getting a CEL, but my car is stumbling at around 5-6psi along with the ticking noise. It will climb with no problem, but it stumbles just as quickly as it gets there.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Also, the PO had replaced all Vac. hoses. I'm going to have to check to see whether or not he replaced the hose with the valve in it. That could be another issue for this.
Which vac hose has that breather valve in it?
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Post by Saskatoon Subaru »

manifold gasket leak
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

1990 Legacy 267,000km(Rebuild complete 265,423km----March 9/2008)

1991 Legacy Turbo 180,000km
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

My vote is wastegate flutter. The sound is the wastegate clicking against the turbo housing as it opens and closes repeatedly. My car did the same thing.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

jefferson wrote:My vote is wastegate flutter. The sound is the wastegate clicking against the turbo housing as it opens and closes repeatedly. My car did the same thing.
Bump
if you run just wastegate or install the MBC the noise should go away.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Boost solenoid.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
SubOnno
First Gear

Post by SubOnno »

Just red this on a dutch forum, guy claims to have a ticking noise.

Suggestions were:
Gasket uppipe/manifold,
A leaking IC hose,

Problem was:
A crack in his manifold

Good luck,
Subaru Legacy MY94 2.0 AWD
turbodrabbit'
First Gear

Post by turbodrabbit' »

I have a clicking in my 1994 touring wagon. It seems to fade away around 3500-4000rpm. If it were an exhaust leak then it would be constant, so if this were the boost solenoid/wastegate flutter, would the noise go away at higher rpms.
1994 Turbo Wagon
1999 Subaru Forester
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

turbodrabbit' wrote:I have a clicking in my 1994 touring wagon. It seems to fade away around 3500-4000rpm. If it were an exhaust leak then it would be constant, so if this were the boost solenoid/wastegate flutter, would the noise go away at higher rpms.
I would bet it is the boost solenoid. The previous replies were correct, that was my problem.
I rectified the issue by disconnecting the vac tubes to the solenoid and using an MBC, T'ing it off to the wastegate and turbo outlet nipple. Started off just running WG pressure to see if the clicking had subsided, and it did. So I brought it up to factory boost, and the car has worked great ever since.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
turbodrabbit'
First Gear

Post by turbodrabbit' »

I went to a local subaru shop and they had a used manual boost controller and he said he didn't recommend them. I asked why and he said they were inaccurate and would be bad for longevity. Our cars didn't even come with a boost gauge, so how did you know yours was at stock boost? If you do have a gauge, what did you use?
1994 Turbo Wagon
1999 Subaru Forester
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Post by Saskatoon Subaru »

turbodrabbit' wrote:I went to a local subaru shop and they had a used manual boost controller and he said he didn't recommend them. I asked why and he said they were inaccurate and would be bad for longevity. Our cars didn't even come with a boost gauge, so how did you know yours was at stock boost? If you do have a gauge, what did you use?
It's very easy to hook in an aftermarket boost gauge to monitor boost levels
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

1990 Legacy 267,000km(Rebuild complete 265,423km----March 9/2008)

1991 Legacy Turbo 180,000km
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Forgot to add that I did this using my boost gauge, an Autometer phantom 30-0-30 one.
I certainly wouldn't plumb an MBC in without a gauge first. If you are only going factory settings, this wouldn't cause premature failure.

When it is misused is when you have a problem.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan