center housing of turbo leaking oil

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chochocho
Second Gear

center housing of turbo leaking oil

Post by chochocho »

hello all,

just had my turbo rebuilt. the shop installed everything and now, i am told that there is a leak in the center housing of the turbo.

i was told that the oil feed and coolant lines area where the banjo bolts are not leaking.

what could be the issues that are causing this oil leak?

thanks.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Do you use a oil catch can? If so, make sure it is plumbed properly. Check to see if your pcv lines are in the proper place. There could be an error in the turbo rebuild, also.
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

i see. i did not use an oil catch can.

i'll have the mechanic check and i will also check to make sure the lines are plumbed correctly.

in the mean time, i have contacted the company that rebuilt my turbo and will provide them with pictures of the leaking area.

i would like to be able to pinpoint the problem before sending it back to them as it is a long turnaround time.

you are right, there may be an error at the shop. but i was told that there have some pretty stringent testing done to it before it goes out to the customer.

those that builds turbo for a living or knows about rebuilding turbos, what are these testing that are done? inspection for sure, a leak test after the turbo is rebuilt?

thanks.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I was thinking banjo bolts...
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Where is it leaking to? Is it leaking oil or water externally? Oil in the intake or exhaust?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.